engine oil analysis

bump_r

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No bashing here, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole engine oil analysis thing. I understand the purpose, and definitely understand the benefits in commecial or developmental situations, but I simply do not understand the financial benefit behind them in a pick-up truck.

Here's why. I just bought a 5-gallon bucket of Shell Rotella T for about 47 bucks. That's $2.35/quart, or 35.25/change in my 15-quart system. I also just got a filter from NAPA for $12.50. Oil and filter comes to $47.75 for a complete oil and filter change. Now, I just checked the Blackstone site, and see that they charge $22.50 for the analysis. Add postage, and I'm sure you're close to $25, or essentially one-half the cost of an oil/filter change. (I'm rounding to the cost of a beer or so, no CPAs need to bust my bubble...)This means, then, that even if a guy could DOUBLE his oil change interval, he's still only at a break-even point relative to the cost of the analysis. I see elsewhere on this site where guys are confidently extending their intervals by what, a thousand miles? I just don't see the payback.

Sure, it'd be nice to see my contaminant levels, and sure, it'd be great to see a failure looming on the horizon, but getting into the Diesel truck thing in the first place was in part due to the extreme longevity expected out of this engine. Getting all paranoid at this point just doesn't seem to make sense. What am I missing?:dunno

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But some of us, me included, run synthetic and an oil bypass system. I do the analysis to see how my oil is holding up. I've had the same oil for two years now. Just add new to top off the filter and that is it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me, its CHEAP peace of mind...when a dealer gets 120 for oil changes
(remember were talking about a more expensive filter w/ the 6.0)

and all the stories you read about blown head gaskets and leaking injectors
its WORTH it to periodically confirm my truck is running trouble free...its
cheap insurance !

w/ out testing things may appear to be fine...all the while damage COULD
be occurring (diluted oil)...

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From their website:

We had a Ford factory in the Toledo area that sampled stamping machines regularly. We found a mechanical problem on one of their presses right before the 4th of July holiday. When they checked the oil reservoir they found parts of a gear. They managed to fix the machine over the holiday and lost no production. Had the machine failed during a production run, they estimated their losses would have been about $5 million. They paid us $15.00 for the analysis report. That's a nice payback, no matter how you look at it.

Now granted that's an extreme example, but there are a lot of things that this OA can find that you cannot see, feel, hear otherwise. Also, I could be happy with getting 250K out of an engine, but wouldn't I feel better going 350-400K or more?

It's like saying, "Why go to the doctor for a regular checkup, I'm fine and take care of myself..." but they can check stuff out and you'll KNOW that everything is fine.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I think you'll find that most people here are taking samples to find fuel / coolant & excessive metals. Most are not looking to extend oil usage. I extended once and tested at 5K and 12.5K (syn with bypass filter). After having a base line to go by I'm comfortabe with changing @ 10K and will sample at the time of changing only. Most people with the 6.0 can easily run the factory recommended 7.5K interval, some should do the 5K and the 3K crowd is a bit nutty. (Thanks to the quick oil change business for the 3K myth)

So over the next 100K on my 06 6.0 I will sample 10 times. I buy in bulk (6 for 113.88 = 18.98ea X 10 for 100K)

$189.80 (postage included) to know about major engine failures before your broken down (& in my case losing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ cuz you can't work)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58