Engine Oil Pan Leak

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
I seem to have a leak from the front, bottom of my oil pan. It looks like it rusted through from the outside in.
Small hole or crack. Anyone else have this problem?? Where can I get A better after market pan?
Do I have to lift the motor up to get the pan out??
Thanks to all.
Brian

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'd just replace it with another stock oil pan but yes the engine has to be pulled for the R&R.

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
Well what about an after market pan and what else should be done to the truck while all this is going on?
I bet this will hurt my wallet.
Brian

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
years ago i helped a buddy do a three piece pan on his truck. took a stock pan, measured and measured the one in the truck.welded flanges, etc. took a long time to make but in the end it was cool to do and easier than pulling the engine. took about as long as it would have been pulling it, but easier.

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
There is a welder in town that has been around for ever and does a great job. I think I will go talk to him tomorrow. I would like to find an after market oil pan just in case I need one. And if I need to pull it all out, then what if anything should I do while the engine is out?
Thanks,
Brian
Brian

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a TSB on it...perhaps ford will foot the bill for the repair...certainly
this tsb acknowledges the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
TSB
05-20-3 OIL PAN CORROSION - 7.3L OR 6.0L

Publication Date: September 22, 2005

FORD: 1999-2006 E-Series, F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion
2000-2006 F-650, F-750

This article supersedes TSB 03-21-46 to update the affected engines and vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles equipped with the 7.3L or 6.0L Diesel Engine may exhibit engine oil pan corrosion when operated in high salt content/corrosive environments. If the customer is concerned with this cosmetic issue, the following procedure may be used to resolve the condition.

ACTION:
Inspect the oil pan. If corrosion is detected use Motorcraft High Temp Anti-Corrosion Coating, Part Number PM-13-A, to service. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Clean the oil pan off with a solvent to remove any dirt and oil. Using a 3" angle grinder with a 36 grit disc, grind off all loose corrosion. Blow off with air. Wash the pan with soap and water and let dry. Brush the anti-corrosion coating on the oil pan. Allow coating to dry fully before operating the vehicle.

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
So what should I do take the truck to Ford with this TSB and see what they say? I'm sure they will say for me to fix it.
Brian

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know we have a rust warranty...but i dont know what it is...
Id take it in and see what they said...

i cant imagine that this isnt a class action suit waiting to happen.

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
My local diesel shop said about $1,000.00- 1,200.00
We shall see. Ford will do nothing,(imagine that)
Thanks,
Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58