Engine running crappy

carm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
'03 6.0 88,000 MILES
Truck has been running crappy lately. Doing some erratic stuff.
1- Shifting into 4 gear takes long like it's slipping.
2- After it shifts into 5th I'll be dring along and it downshifts into 4th by itself.
3- At times it has no power and black smoke from the exhaust.
4- Rough idle
Thought it was a trans problem so I brought it in and had it scanned. Results
PO 404
PO 603
KAM error
Cleaned the EGR, no difference, it wasn't that dirty. Cleaned the turbo not long ago so I'm thinking not that.
Any suggestion welcome!!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TikiWiki : Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes

This is the wiki articel (can be found at the top of the screen. click Categories after you click the link). According to what it says it something to do with the Powerstrain and aux emission control.

PO404= P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance
PO603= P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

Dave...???

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Carm says he cleaned the EGR so the 404 code has no meaning. The 603 code is the KAM error code and that is from disconnecting the batteries. What is left? Nothing that I can see. There are several items that can cause rough running. Besides the EGR you could have a bad FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module), but the black smokes says something else, like a bad tuner. Anyone else see anything?

Dave

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Black smoke and running rough screams injector or injectors headed south and could also be the turbo on its last legs could also be a IC boot with a hole in it. The hunting for gears could be a symptom of the engine not producing enough power. I had a similar problem with my truck when the unison ring was causing the vanes to stick but in the end the only thing that solved it was a new turbo.

carm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had the turbo off not long ago and cleaned it. There was no damage or visible wear to it.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Had the turbo off not long ago and cleaned it. There was no damage or visible wear to it.

It does not take much of a ridge to hang the vanes up on the unison ring. They replaced every part they could replace on mine before the finally gave up and just put a new turbo on it. My truck had 123k on it when this happened but the only thing that does not make sense though is mine was throwing low boost codes and yours is not. Have you or they run a contribution test on the injectors to find out if any are not working right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim