Engine runs weird sometimes

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a used '04 superduty a week ago, and I've noticed an intermittent issue that doesn't sound so good. Most of the time it runs just fine, but every now and then, I'll have this problem with an off-idle stumble, then once I get up to a steady 45-50mph, the engine seems to hold a steady RPM, yet the engine sound varies from "quiet" to an abrupt turbo whine and "normal" loudness. If I get on the gas, it'll get right with it, but when I settle back down to a steady 45-50mph, it goes back to the above behavior. Any ideas?

:dunno

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
It's an EGR issue, but I don't know enough to tell you what the issue is. Hopefully, my post will bump this back up and someone else will help you out. My guess is the EGR is your problem.

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
It's an EGR issue, but I don't know enough to tell you what the issue is. Hopefully, my post will bump this back up and someone else will help you out. My guess is the EGR is your problem.

Thanks for the bump. I'd sure appreciate if anyone could educate me on the EGR, and how it's screwing up. Is it an easy/cheap replacement?

Reaction score
LCW said:
Thanks for the bump. I'd sure appreciate if anyone could educate me on the EGR, and how it's screwing up. Is it an easy/cheap replacement?

For starters - run down to your local Ford dealer and have them run an Oasis on your truck and find out if the EGR recall has been done on it. It may not have. The EGR is covered under your engine warranty - so you could check on if there is a deductible you would need to pay depending on your mileage, etc.

Third - you could pull it and clean it yourself.

There were several recalls that should have been done on the 04's - they may or may not have been done by the previous owner - so I would check on them. There was the EGR thing, wire harness and EBP sensor. And some also had a tranny recall. Your local dealer will know just by running your VIN number.

And oh - as for how it's getting screwed up - someone came up with the bright idea (not Ford) to install EGR's on diesels - the soot that goes through the EGR is what is clogging it up. The newer model is suppose to be less prone to clogging.

Ron

Last edited:

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
For starters - run down to your local Ford dealer and have them run an Oasis on your truck and find out if the EGR recall has been done on it.

I did a carfax on the truck, and the link to the recall info suggests that the following recall has not been done: 05E15 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR REPLACEMENT, ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM AND ENGINE CONTROL MODULES RECALIBRATION

Could that be causing the EGR to do what it's apparently doing wrong? Regardless, I'll have the recall done...

There were several recalls that should have been done on the 04's - they may or may not have been done by the previous owner - so I would check on them. There was the EGR thing, wire harness and EBP sensor.

Is the EBP thing the same as above?

And oh - as for how it's getting screwed up - someone came up with the bright idea (not Ford) to install EGR's on diesels - the soot that goes through the EGR is what is clogging it up. The newer model is suppose to be less prone to clogging.

Thanks Ron, that helps. :sweet

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Got the truck back from the dealer. They did the recall I mentioned above, and didn't find any other problems. Went for a ride with the service manager, and all seems good again. I'm told this is a new recall, so if you're having similar troubles maybe have the dealer look up your truck's recalls. I'll post back to this thread if my troubles come back...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14