Engine stalls at idle when over 80 degrees?

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
This has got me stumped somewhat. The truck is a 2000, F350 dually, Edge w/attitude programmer, AFE stage 2 intake and 4 inch SS exhaust with Magnafow muffler. The truck runs fantastic and I have even started driving it to the office as I like the flat screen nav system! Aways, when outside air gets to 80, the engine will die at a light with the check engine light on. If I restart and keep the idle up to 900 RPM or so and then let it drop and go into drive, it runs fine. It does not stall on the road or at stop signs where I am only there momentarily. When I get home I check for codes with my Auto Enginuity and there are none, as they have cleared. Sounds like vapor lock which I remember from my cars in the 60s and 70s with carbs but I don't think diesels do that? It does not matter if the Edge unit is plugged in or removed as I have tried both and I also have replaced the CPS just as I had several spares and it still occurs. I have seen posts about cold stalling but not from heat, anyone have any ideas???????

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sheesh youve got me stumped.

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue...have you performed
a cylinder contribution test ?

i wonder if the fuel filters could be a contributing factor @ low
speed/demand ?

to my knowledge diesel does NOT easily vaporize and my experiances
w/ vapor lock are such that it only happened when the car SAT
(engine off) after the engine was warm/run...once the carb'd car
sat THEN the fuel vaporized in the lines & blocked the flow.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has got me stumped somewhat. The truck is a 2000, F350 dually, Edge w/attitude programmer, AFE stage 2 intake and 4 inch SS exhaust with Magnafow muffler. The truck runs fantastic and I have even started driving it to the office as I like the flat screen nav system! Aways, when outside air gets to 80, the engine will die at a light with the check engine light on. If I restart and keep the idle up to 900 RPM or so and then let it drop and go into drive, it runs fine. It does not stall on the road or at stop signs where I am only there momentarily. When I get home I check for codes with my Auto Enginuity and there are none, as they have cleared. Sounds like vapor lock which I remember from my cars in the 60s and 70s with carbs but I don't think diesels do that? It does not matter if the Edge unit is plugged in or removed as I have tried both and I also have replaced the CPS just as I had several spares and it still occurs. I have seen posts about cold stalling but not from heat, anyone have any ideas???????

Check & or change the oil....if need be,, you may want to check the IPR orings mor have some one run a mechanical guage on the system to isolate any HP internal leaks....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg