Engine Swap

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I currently have an 04 that is constantly breaking down. The DSB finally awarded me a repalcement truck, but at a cost that I am not willing to accept...could trade it in for more.

My question is...I have been eyeing one of the CAT C7 with 400hp...has anyone swapped one into a Ford before?? I know that people have swapped in Cummins before, but I want something different. A buddy of mine is a manager at the local CAT Store in Phoenix, so the cost would be minimal...so a certain degree.

I would like to scrap the 5 speed TorqShift and put in a 6 speed manual or a good automatic.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW !!!

Sounds like you're starting to be an auto manufacturer !!!

Not sure I would even consider that type of project...
but go for it and let us know...

firstly, though I'd consider your state's lemon laws...
you can probably do better there...
especially since all this is somewhat negotiable...

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
Without completely redoing the front structure of the Superduty there is NO WAY your going to fit a 7.2 liter Caterpillar 3126 in there. These things are quite a bit bigger than the 6.0 considering the Cat is an inline 6 vs the V8. :sorry

rch

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You are going to spend a lot of money to do what you want. The 3126 will fit but with a lot of cutting and chopping things. Why not consider a 5.9 Cummins, there are several people doing them now. In fact why not just get rid of the truck?

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dale, how much bigger is the C7 vs the Cummins??

rch, the Cummins is an option, but two of my associates are big wigs at one of the CAT stores where I live, so I can get a decent break on the engine

as for getting rid of the truck...I special ordered it with everything I wanted, and being an 04 it still has the leaf springs up front. second, I cannot see walking away from that much money in a year. would rather put it into a bitchen engine. The 06's still have the same crap 6.0.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
i LOVE the 6.0...goin down the highway pressin the gas and hearing the boost hiss...ahhh...better than beer

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
i LOVE the 6.0...goin down the highway pressin the gas and hearing the boost hiss...ahhh...better than beer

And you haven't tuned it yet !?!?!

Wait till ya do that....

You'll never understand how you drove it stock !!!! :thumbs

Ggg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
IIRC the C7 weighs about 1300#(dry) so add another 50-100# for wet, it is 43" long, 33" wide and 38" high.
Compared to the 6.0 weight of 1062#. I do not have dimensions for the 6.0 L.
Cummins B 5.9 weighs 950-1000#(wet), 40" long, 25" wide, and 38" high.
When doing a Cummins swap it requires using an electric fan (pusher) due to the engine is right up on the radiator. So the extra 3" is going to cause some real issues with mounting the radiator, or extending the front end out farther.
What state do you live in? If you are in CA forget it it will never pass light truck emissions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58