Erratic idle

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Noticed the other morning when i started my truck that when it was idling it was surging up and down. After driving for a while it was fine and then this morning it kept doing it even after it wared up. Has no hesitation when you hit the throttle, Cranks over and starts fine and no CEL. Thinking maybe ICP sensor but not sure. Still goes like hell too when i get on it. Any Ideas? going into the shop wed for a possible u joint and this issue. Thank you

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My 6.0 surged when I first started it. I switched to 5-W40 Synthetic oil and it has never surged again. It ran just great when it warmed up.

Dave

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil right after it started doing this and used 5w-40 syn this time and did the fuel filters, Its weird because its kinda intermittant. Other than the surging the truck seems to run better on the synthetic. Feels like it starts quicker and runs smoother when not surging.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back from the shop today and everything checked out including ICP sensor, All 8 injectors, they drove it and couldn't find any issues. Then i drove it home and it ran like sh** surging. Unplugged egr valve and let it idle for a couple minutes seemed to be fine so i plugged it back in and took it for about a half hour ride and it ran perfect. Shut it off for about an hour and then went back out and started it and ran like sh** again so i drove it through a couple hard accelerations and it seemed to clear up. Thinkin maybe i have some bad fuel or maybe the egr valve is plugged. Getting egr o rings for it tomorrow along with a new ic boot because mine has a tiny tear in it. Hoping maybe one of those things is the issue.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would bet your EGR valve is very dirty and needs manual cleaning. Not hard, only two bolts and it should come off. I had to twist mine as I pried up on it. Then I cleaned off using carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Do not get carb cleaner into the top bell housing where the coils and electronics are. Drive it like you stole it will keep the EGR clean in the future.

Dave

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took out the old IC boot and it was cracked pretty bad, Replaced it and dumped a bottle of Diesel Kleen in the tank and the truck runs like new :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58