erratic throttle

robbins.fly

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Been having some issues with the throttle on my truck. Sorry for the lengthy post but will try to describe it well. 06 f350 6.0, stock, 85k miles

Started truck then rpm dipped to about 500 then went up to about 1000 before settling into normal idle. Throttle pedal didn't seem to be responding as it normally would, truck wasn't making power then suddenly would surge and accelerate. Seemed like throttle pedal was not working correctly.

Parked truck and shut it down. Then tried to restart, just turned over. Tried once more, same results, once more and it started but slowly died out and wouldn't accept throttle.

Disconnected battery terminals, sat 30 mins, truck started and idled, slightly different than normal but drivable. Truck sat another 30 mins, then started up and drove fine.

No check engine light. The light had come on about 500 miles ago but the battery got disconnected then the light went out and after another few hundred miles never turned on.

I am leaning towards a problem with the accelerator pedal. Any Ideas?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD ;tu

Fuel filters clean ?

Air Filter ?

What brand & weight of oil ?

Joe

robbins.fly

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
havent checked the fuel filters which I have been meaning to, amsoil oil under 2 months old, need to check air filter. other than the erratic throttle it ran great. making good power.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent checked the fuel filters which I have been meaning to, amsoil oil under 2 months old, need to check air filter. other than the erratic throttle it ran great. making good power.

You need to be sure you have Good Clean fuel & air flow first.. then see how that effects, or doesn't... the eratic throttle issue... would be my .03.

Joe

Last edited:

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the EGR valve is stuck open? I just pulled mine to clean it a few weeks ago, regardless of the truck running fine, and it was amazing, the amount of soot and buildup that was on it. Very cheap fix if that's the problem, but can be tough to get it out.
If you have a crow-foot small prybar, you can get it. Good luck!

robbins.fly

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
whats the best process to clean the egr, any good write ups? also where can you get the orings to replace the old ones? I feel like since it runs great most the time it is not this, but i have had stranger things happen so will definitely clean it. Oppinions on egr deletes?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The way to clean the EGR is to remove it and use a small metal wire brush and carp cleaner. Do not soak the upper part of the EGR valve in carb cleaner, as it will ruin it. Only use the carb cleaner in the valve parts that are exposed. You will have trouble using an EGR delete kit, as we have to smog these trucks. I had to smog mine last September. BTW :welcome

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58