Evans Coolant

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
I put Evans coolant in my truck a few months ago, but I haven't really had the chance to "really" test it out under towing conditions until today.

I hauled my Lincoln from Wy to Phoenix, Az. 4000Lb car plus a 2000lb bumper pull. I hate bumper pulls, but all the shorter Goosenecks are being used, and I sure as hell was not about to haul the car on a 6500lb, 32' triple axle gooseneck... again.

Anyways, the temp gauge did not go past 208F. And yes, I had my foot in the motor. Well, the Cruise control did, anyways. I set it at 80, once I got out of salt lake on 15, and kept it there to I70. The only time the Fan came on is on 89, right before Kanab, UT, on a wicked long pull. Fan came on almost at the top of the hill. The EGT's on that pull stayed right around 1200F. But I have no Cat, and no Muffler. PRetty much straight exhaust, so I'm sure that helped a bit with the EGT temps.

That does lead me to wonder how effective the location of the water sender for the aftermarket gauge is, though. I have mine plugged into the driver's side drain plug. I thought the fan kicked on at 220F????

Does anyone know at what water temperature the fan kicks on?

Ok, I'm tired and rambling - though, I would like to know at what temp the fan comes on-.

Thanks.

Cliff Notes: Evans PPG Coolant. Use it.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I take you are talking about the main radiator fan? That engages based on the temperature of the air flowing over it which is affected by outside air temp, A/C, I/C temp, and last engine temp.

I have been running the Evans for awhile now and I need to dump it. It looks nasty and is leaking out the seal on the top neck.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Oye... So there is more to the Fan than just coolant temperature, huh.

Well, thanks for that info.

BTW, how long have you had the Evans coolant in there? According to Evan's, it's good for what, 500K miles? I'd call them and ask about it. I do know it's supposed to change color and look "nasty", but from what I've been told, that dosn't affect it's cooling properties.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
It has been in there for a bit over 2 years I would guess, probably around 50k miles. It still seems to cool fine but it looks like it is corroding its way out of the neck and I do not like that. I am not real comfortable keeping the same coolant in there for a long time. I am going to switch to a more over the shelf long life coolant and change it out now and then. I do not run synthetic either, I am just paranoid like that.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
I don' blame you for being paranoid, but I humbly suggst you call evans up and ask them. They are advertising it as a 500K mile coolant.

Seems kind of a waste of mney to spend almost 300 dollars for coolant every 2 yars. lol. But again, it's your money. :p

BigBlue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry?

Hi, Sorry about no post between two young boys4 & 18mos, a great better half, OVERTIME, and weekend tripss. Dont spend alot of time on the computer unless i'm doing research on one of my vehicles.My 01PSD, 01 Lincon, 92 stang, and my TENyr 75 mod Bronco poject. And i know excusses are like A-----s everyone got one> So again sorry.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
89, right before Kanab, UT, on a wicked long pull.

I will be taking this route from Ely Nevada through Kanab on the way to the Grand Canyon. How long of a pull is it? I will be pulling our 11,000 lb. 5th wheel. Using Google Earth, looks like the terrain is rather steep.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan on the 6 liter isn't controled by airflow over it like the older ones. This actually has an electrohydraulic clutch on it. The actual set point temperature escapes me at the moment, but I know it's in the bible, because I remember seeing a chart for it someplace in there. So the clutch is variable, from 100 lockup, to a number approaching 10% or so as an off state.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont recall the set point to percentage of fan "engagement".

But i have watched mine w/ my autoenginuity diagnostic software
connected (while towing & sitting in traffic)...I could "see" the fan
engagement displayed in percentages (i dont think even in 90* ambient
temps, sitting in traffic...towing a car, i ever saw more than about 40-50%
fan engagement.

ps60_054_Electrical_Components.jpg

Last edited:

jwplunkett

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Evans Coolant - Caution per Evans - Flush properly

Hello all

I purchased Evans coolant as well
-Couple months back from DieselSite
-But haven't had time yet to install

All the technical data on Evans
-That I could locate per my research looks all positive

However I did conduct a call with Evans Technical support
Caution truly needs to be taken when switching from over counter coolant to Evans --- Below are steps to follow:
-Evans Rep told me to use over the counter Radiator Flush - add to existing coolant
-Then drain completely
-Then fill with distilled water and flush once more
-Drain
-Be certain to also drain coolant overflow / reservoir
-Basically open all hoses / plugs etc to get as much existing coolant along with Flush out of engine cavities
-Now finally ready to install Evans
-Plus don't ever MIX Evans with any other fluid type --- the two fluids are NOT designed to be mixed and will reduce effect of Evans

Respectfully requesting all who read this string to advise of any other suggestions / recommendations
-Would like to swap over to Evans now for upcoming HOT Summer months
-My viewpoint is I am attempting to perform ever possible preventative maint in advance to keep this truck in top running condition for many Miles to come

Thanks in advance

John from Colfax NC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14