Excursion Tail Light Mod

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Excursion tail lights and wonder why Ford never used the upper part of the light and installed a bulb there. I took the lights out and found no hole there so I drilled a 1 1/8 inch hole in the rear of the light after grinding the raised up nub off, 1 1/16 would be better but I didn't have that size hole saw. I then used a Dremel tool with a drywall bit to grind the notches for the new bulb sockets to lock into the the light housings. I wired up the light socket pig tails so now I have parking and brake lights on the top of the tail light housings along with the original factory lights. You need to use the shorter bulb sockets for the bulbs to fit properly not the longer sockets that are in the housings where the original lights are. I would think any auto parts store, junk yard or a Ford dealer can get the sockets and light socket pig tails for this easy 1 hour mod. The number on the bulb socket is F17B-13411-FB, this may be a engineering number and not the actual Ford part number but it should cross easily to the correct number at your local Ford dealer. The new sockets take the standard 3157 bulb.
This and This is what it looks like with the lights on. :sweet :sweet :sweet
FMT

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nice work! But I think I'll go with the mod CHPMustang did with his tail-lights (used '94 van lights with orange turn signals).

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I never thought of doing the double red light thing...that's a cool idea. I did what CHP did with the amber turn sigs. (I put a post on about fixing the trailer brake light issue after my conversion.)

DieselSindicate

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is what it looks like with the lights on. :sweet :sweet :sweet
FMT[/QUOTE]

Very nice X . ONe question though, why the receiver on the passenger side?

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thats pretty cool, I like it!

DieselSindicate said:
Very nice X . ONe question though, why the receiver on the passenger side?

That is a Pull Right hitch. The entire hitch pivots from the drivers side to the passenger side of the X. When not in use towing it parks on one side or the other. The hitch kinda turns your SUV into a Fifth Wheel when towing a bumper pulled trailer. Really cool how they work. Hope you don't mind me answering the question FordMasterTech!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58