Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I just took mine out today and it was completely clogged with soot! I cleaned it and the EBP tube and reinstalled. What does the EBP sensor do? I cant tell if it made any difference because its raining here. I think I will replace it with a new sensor because it doesnt appear to have ever been changed. It also says According to Jody Tipton, DP Tuner: "a properly installed sensor in good working order is necessary for optimum PCM control of fueling." I hope replacing it helps me out I just got my DP-Tuner and I love it.

The link below shows step by step how to do it.

Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page
Hope it helps someone.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
I just found mine totally disconnected by the previous owner.. Also my bp sensor tube has a hole in it.. But my truck runs fine .. I dunno

Toptech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This should answer your question.

Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor

The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is a variable capacitor sensor that is supplied a 5-volt reference signal by the PCM and returns a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure. The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor measures the pressure in the RH exhaust manifold. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back-pressure control system.

The exhaust back-pressure is controlled by the PCM to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7°C (45°F) and engine oil temperature is below 75°C (167°F) during low load, low speed operating conditions.

An open or short in the Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM, and the PCM will disable Exhaust Back-Pressure control.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
So it doesnt really effect performance, its more for heating the inside of the truck?

Toptech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's what Ford says anyway. It appears to be used kind of like a position sensor, By reading back pressure the pcm knows the position of the EBP Valve. If the valve were to stick closed or partially closed the pcm would read higher than normal back pressure. And, if the line to the EBPS were completely clogged, the pcm would have no idea what position the valve was in because the sensor would read zero back pressure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya