Exhaust Brake Questions

Chemtj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newby here and had some questions concerning exhaust brakes. I have been checking out many options for adding an exhaust brake to my truck and am thinking seriously anout the Pacbrake inline PXBR. Does it require removal or disconnection of the EBPV or does it work in conjunction with it? How does it mount in the exhaust? Do the in-line brakes work as well as or better than direct mount? I have been told that the inline brakes take a long time to build up back pressure and therefor breaking is delayed, any thoughts? Does anyone have experience with this particular brake and know the best price? I have been told by my Ford dealer that adding the brake will void my warranty (truck only has 39000 miles), is this true? Any help would be appreciated!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Glad to have you here. Thoughts on the Exhaust Brake Questions will be coming soon. Tell us where you are from and a little more about yourself.:sweet :sweet

Chemtj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I have thought about the EBPV as an exhaust brake and have read the instructions, but I have read from many people that they are not very effective compared to aftermarket brakes.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chemtj,

I'm also new to this site.

I have been running a Western Diesel Exhaust Brake (company has been out of bussiness for a couple of years now).

This type of brake uses the existing EPBV, by wiring into the wiring. The brake has been running great for 6 years now on my 2000 PSD F250.

I used to pull a 26' TT and this exhaust brake in the mountains took a load off my regular trucks' brakes. We sold to 26' trailer (due to high fuel costs), and now have a light weight popup camper, and tow a 14' enclosed m/c trailer.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've got a BD turbo mounted exhaust brake. I had the dealer install it before I took delivery of the truck. It has worked well for 260K+ and 7 years now. The only problems I've had have been more electrical related with the electrical/vacume switches. But they have been seldom and rather easy to diagnose + repair.

But whichever way you go, if you have an auto tranny, you will need a manual torque converter control. If you use a exhaust brake and the converter is unlocked/slipping, you could cook your fluid and tranny in a hurry.
The maximum benefit from an exhaust brake is only realized as long as the torque converter remains locked.

PSD PAC

semi handy guy
Reaction score
I had an EBPV controller for a few years. I found that, in comparison to a real inline exhaust brake, it's not terribly good. Works great for around-town driving, but when pulling heavy it leaves a lot to be desired. So as far as that goes, consider what your needs are; the budget will figure itself out!

I've got a US Gear brake, and have been very happy with it. Built like an absolute tank, and you can put it on various sizes of exhaust without changing the guts of the brake (just different ends).

As far as inline brakes taking a while to build up pressure, I have not found that to be an issue at all. The brake comes on, and it's there NOW.

Part of the reason I chose the USGear model was because I didn't want to have to deal with mounting something else under the hood, and I didn't want to have to worry about vacuum and the brake - it's just electrically actuated, and I've had no problems with it at all.

As for the warranty issue...it's hard to say. Most dealers probably will not take kindly to it - some may even put it in OASIS, which follows your truck wherever it goes.

I can say that it'll save you on brakes. I traded out my front rotors for Carolina Clutch rotors at about 85k miles. I wanted to upgrade brakes, and I had the money, but I didn't HAVE to - you see, I had about 70% of the original rotors left UP FRONT at 85k miles, the backs look almost new. I'd had some form of exhaust brake on since I got the truck, so that and the 6spd have saved a ton on brake wear.

No matter what you get, you'll probably love having one! good luck!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
For the price the EBPV works great. On slick road it will lock up the tires if you are not careful. I think most of the non effective reports come from guys that either don't lock there converter or guys that have not run other exhaust brakes for comparison. Will a aftermarket brake work better than the EBPV...Yes but the EBPV will surprise you if you try it :sweet.

Chemtj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies,

I have bought all the parts needed for the DIY exhaust brake, I figured I might as well try it before spending a bunch of money on the in-line setup. I tow a 33 foot fifth wheel so a brake will help. One question I now have is how do I remove the bezel around the instrument panel clustrer to mount my switch? I want to mount the switch and indicator lamps in the spare panel on the bezel beside the instrument cluster, it looks like a knockout panel about 3" tall X 4" wide but it does not come out therefor I have to remove the bezel. Do I have to remove the radio first? The bezel appears just to snap in place but it won't come loose near the radio. If the radio has to come out first, how do I remove it?

Thanks again!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a horseshoe shaped U wire that snaps into the 2 holes on the side or the radio. Once you get those in place, gentle push the U shaped wires towards the center of the radio and pull the radio out. It is easier that reading it. :):)

Dave :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58