Exhaust Guide

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... I got one from Dave at Diesel Power Products, when it was still in the development stages. I've had it in/on for about 6 weeks. I Like It. It's on for good.

I'v seen about a 30 to 40 degree drop in EGTs, running empty. About a 40 to 60 degree drop towing my FW. Not a "Whiz Bang" thing but never the less.... an improvement. I installed it in the inlet of the AeroTurbine.

The most notable gains, in my opinion, is the Idle, Throttle responce and the exhaust sound. At idle, my truck has NEVER been as smooth. Not that it was rough before, but it it's sure noticably smoother now, Throttle responce is just..... Better.... hard to describe. The whole exhaust sound has changed, to a more mellow, throaty tone. The Turbo "Chuff", or flutter, is all but gone.

I'm impressed. Ther's good gouge on it @ www.dieselpowerproducts.com

Worth looking at :sweet :sweet :sweet...... I think.

JOE

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
cool man... didn't know they were making those. wonder how it would sound on a straight piped truck.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
ChrisMartinTX said:
cool man... didn't know they were making those. wonder how it would sound on a straight piped truck.
We haven't had a chance to try one on a straight piped truck yet, but I have tried it on my truck both with and with out the Aeroturbine with pretty much the same observations as Big Joe. Both my Ford and the 04 Dodge in our shop are showing slight mpg improvements as well. Look down this page and you will find some photos http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/exhaust

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
ChrisMartinTX said:
I was thinking the same thing......along with are they available in 5".

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
let us know if you plan on testing one and some results if you do. may have something else to add to the wishlist. sitting at 5000 bucks right now (wishlist with prices on website if you are curious)... only a little more overtime :D . gotta finish this stuff before my gf finishes school and tries to make me spend some money on something else :rolleyes: :cowboy:

Car_nut57

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I was thinking the same thing......along with are they available in 5".
I don't have 5" made up yet, but have already gotten several requests for them. May have to get working on 5" soon with all the interest.

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
If this 1st one is a stupid question, then I apologize.

What keeps this thing from plugging with diesel soot?

Next question.

Do anyone have any documented testing done that you could share with us on power/MPG/noise improvements.

BIG JOE said:
I'v seen about a 30 to 40 degree drop in EGTs, running empty. About a 40 to 60 degree drop towing my FW. Not a "Whiz Bang" thing but never the less.... an improvement. JOE

Hey Joe,

Is your Pyro digital?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kwazyca said:
If this 1st one is a stupid question, then I apologize.

What keeps this thing from plugging with diesel soot?

Next question.

Do anyone have any documented testing done that you could share with us on power/MPG/noise improvements.

Hey Joe,

Is your Pyro digital?

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom, nope mines analog. I'm over anal about gaugeoligy tho.... pay real close attention to stuff. I have an allmost robotic 12 mile commute, 90% open road freeway. Same with towing, at least twice monthly trips to the coast (240 miles RT), over the same roads, hills and grades, same RPMs, same MPHs, in the same gear, I noticed a drop in EGTs, right off. Smooother Idle, throttle more responcive (faster spool up) and a much better engine/exhaust sound. I can go up a hill FASTER, if I wanted too, but am only limited by traffic or road conditions. I could always do that. Now, I have just "some more" to play with. Thats a "Good Thing". Make any sence ???

Sorry, no documented stats, but I can tell ya.... It's very definite but subtle improvements. Maybe Dave at DPP is work'n up some data.

JMO but... I think we're pump'n WAY to much air (CFM) thru these things (under pressure) to EVER plug ANYTHING up in the exhaust systems.

As far as MPGs go ? I was'nt guna go there..... But >I think< I may be getn 1.? more. But then..... I'm not an MPG guy. Drive'n a 8500 pound truck, pull'n a 12,000+ pound trailer..... I'm more concerned about git'n another 20-30 years outa me, and another 100K outa my 2K ...... ;) :) :)

JOE

Last edited:

Car_nut57

Reaction score
Kwazyca,

We have not been doing this long enough to have reliable test data to quote and have not had a chance yet to try one in a straight piped truck yet either, however with the change in sound it made on the trucks we have installed it on, my guess is it should work well for a straight pipe.

Regarding soot, some will build up on the surface of the cells just as it does on the inside of the pipe. The first test part was in my truck for quite some time and when removed the soot is less on the honeycomb than on the wall of the pipe. I think with the velocity of the exhaust soot should not be a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14