Question Exhaust in Cab

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Hope someone has had this problem before or can explain. I'm getting exhaust smell in the cab that worsens when the defroster/vent is turned on. I'm also completely fogging up the windshield for several seconds when I turn on defroster (long enough to crash into a telephone pole),no I didn't,but I could have! The defroster eventually clears it up, but I think these two problems are related, what do you think? :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope someone has had this problem before or can explain. I'm getting exhaust smell in the cab that worsens when the defroster/vent is turned on. I'm also completely fogging up the windshield for several seconds when I turn on defroster (long enough to crash into a telephone pole),no I didn't,but I could have! The defroster eventually clears it up, but I think these two problems are related, what do you think? :dunno

Thru the years, there have been many Posts about this. So yer Not the first ?

You might check the [clamp] connection between yer Turbo outlet and the Down-pipe.... When the engine is COLD. Tighten it a turn or so.

What Can happen is: When the engine is cold and you start it, if the connection is loose at all, even a little bit, exhaust and it's smell(s) blow by the connection.. migrate up.. and yer AC/Heater intake can suck it up and blow it into the cab. After the engine warms up and the connections swell with heat.. it seals it's self.... No smells.

Mine did that, I did that, it fixed that * :sweet

The fogging could be (probably is) caused by the Ambient air temp/humidity levels of the outside air, that's blown thru the defroster vents.. At Start up.. 'til the A/C (dryer air) catches up... Takes a moment or two for that to happen.

Ive learned to live with that :sweet

Joe

* BUT... The Smell of diesel fuel, at start up, cold or hot, (depending on wind direction) is a strong pungent smell to some. If it "Wafts" over yer truck ? you may still suck it into the cab. Personally, I like it....;):lmao

Last edited:

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big Joe. I'll try the tighten up you suggested. The "extreme" fogging I'm thinking now is the hot humid exhaust sneaking out hood and sucking into vent intake; like you said. I've had the truck since new so I know this fogging is new and different. I know what you mean about diesel fumes, I wish I didn't mind it like you, but this is definately a case of fumes being sucked into cab, not thru windows. Thanks again for response!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big Joe. I'll try the tighten up you suggested. The "extreme" fogging I'm thinking now is the hot humid exhaust sneaking out hood and sucking into vent intake; like you said. I've had the truck since new so I know this fogging is new and different. I know what you mean about diesel fumes, I wish I didn't mind it like you, but this is definately a case of fumes being sucked into cab, not thru windows. Thanks again for response!

;tu
It's the Warm up. Cool down, (say 900+ to below zero ?) again & again, over time, that can get to that Turbo clamp joint. A Two dis-similar metals deal. I took mine back apart and dressed the 2 joining surfaces with Never Seize.. Seemed to help. But I still give it a Tweak check now'n then.

Also agree with the Under The hood Humid Air.. Mix that with a bit of a exhaust leak.. being sucked into the Heater intake Whalla.. El Stinko, El Fogo !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim