exhaust leaks normal?

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I put on a 4" turbo back exhaust and it's leak free until after the Cat area, where you use U bolts. Where the pipes come together, those slits, you can see over time some blk soot around them. Is this normal on aftermarket 4" exhausts? I put the U bolt halfway back/forward on the slits if you can understand that. Am I the only one? Don't get me wrong... the leaks are so small you can't even feel them. just over a few thousand miles you can see the blk streak.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would have to say that a exhaust leak of any kind is not normal. I welded mine together and it is leak free. Not sure what you mean by where you put the clamp but another clamp below the slits might seal it up.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any exhaust leak is not normal. did you possibly install it to far forward when you first installed it and crush the pipe a little? if so try to move it closer to where the two pipes join, or leave the one in place and put another one right next to it closer to where the two pipes join.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I should of pushed the clamps back beyond the slits a tad more. I'm not used to Pipe clamps. I always weld, but it's SST. But I called the tech line and they said positiont he clamps over the slits.... OK captain.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which exhaust brand ?

Ive got no leaks on mine (mbrp turbo back w/ cat delete)

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, magnaflow. Like I said, it's almost nothing.. after thousands of miles you see some blk soot, that's it. I'm figuring some Band clamps would be a better idea and they'd apply much better pressure to the pipes.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can also take it to a local exhaust shop and have them weld it up if you have any doubt. only reason I didn't weld mine up is I want the option to put my cat or muffler back on if needed.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same reason I'm not going to weld mine up. I can live with a few minor blk soot streaks :) that way I have a lot more options.

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
I used a band clamp on the down pipe to keep this from happening and it is a better fit than the U-bolts. I also get a little soot from the same spot on my MBRP. I have considered band clamps for the remaining joints but have not been that worried about it to get back under there to do it. That being said, the band clamps do an great job at holding and sealing the joint that I did use it for and you will still be able to take the entire system out if need be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14