exhaust manifold leak / sputtering ???

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey every one , I have a 97 f250HD 7.3L , 4x4 , 5spd . I'm thinking I might have the beginning of an exhaust leak , how would I determine this , or confirm this ? The engine is to loud to listen

Another question I have is with sputtering as I accelerate ? It only happens at low rpms ?
Could it maybe be the injectors ???

Thanxs !!!

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have "the beginning" of an exhaust leak, and you can't hear it 'cuz of the engine noise, then you're going to have to wait it gets bad enough to show some black soot on the surrounding parts.

Inspect every inch of the exhaust system, looking at surrounding components for black soot. The presence of the soot would indicate a leak in the system.

Sometimes, using a small metallic object, like a small socket, to tap on the exhaust system (engine is off) will produce a sound that is noticeably different when you've found a crack or a loose joint.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
If you cant hear it why do you think you have a leak? Has a hissing noise? Can you smell it? What do mean by sputtering? Just low on power here and there? And did all this start with the cold weather?

Last edited:

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the motor just seems to sound a bit louder than normal i guess , the thought popped in my head that its starting to pass by ?? maybe its nothing ?? the sputtering i just recently noticed , it has 370,000 kms i was thinking maybe dirty or bad injector(s) ?? i do run injector cleaner in it but after that many KMS things . how can i tell if injectors are bad or dirty ? im also running a evolution cs

thankx !! ;tu

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
On the compressor side of the turbo there is a black connector bolted to the compressor housing just under the intake boot.unplug it and see what happens.

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm away from the truck for another week , I will unplug the connector to see how it runs but just out of curiosity , what is the connector & what is its function ?

Thanx !

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
One big indicator is smelling it. Also soot spots. You might be able to shine a flash light on the suspected areas and have someone rev it up. Might show somethin.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
I'm away from the truck for another week , I will unplug the connector to see how it runs but just out of curiosity , what is the connector & what is its function ?

Thanx !

Its for the exhaust back pressure valve.most complaints about low power, exhaust leak and a couple other issues when it starts to get cold are caused by the ebpv.it is normal but we need to rule it out before looking elsewhere.you can also leave it unplugged.won't hurt anything and won't set a CEL.can also gut it if you want.you dont need it.all it does is close the exhaust to force the motor to warm up faster.most people find its more of a pita than its worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58