Exhaust modification?

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was curious if i was to cut out my muffler on my truck and replace it with a piece of pipe would my truck sound alot better? Im also curious if anyone has done that to there truck and if so is it worth doing? Thanks WW

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
It depends on what "sound a lot better" means to you....i gutted my kitty and my muffler and to me it sounds amazing...but some people don't like it...have you cut your cat out yet?....if your looking for a good crackel then i think deleting your muffler is a plus...if not then maybe try a performance muffler from any of the top brands...it will sound a little better than stock but still be pretty quiet.

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
I think better would describe the tone. First start in the morning I get the "BRAAAAAAPPPP-BROPL-BROPL-BROPL" (yes thats the technical term):roflmao . I love it. But at 5:30 in the morning some of my non-diesel nieghbors may not care for it. Once it warms up it mellows out....until you stand on it.:burnit

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
well mine does that too and after about 5 or 6 bropl's (with the cat a muffler gone) ....my turbo kicks in and its all whistle for awhile then..... back to bropl's....back to whistle..so on....its prolly the one thing i look forward to in the morning!!!!:thumbs

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ya i looked underneith and my cat is gone so i was thinkin of getting rid of the muffler also. I let my truck warm up in the mornings also and no one has said anything yet about it but im sure they dont like it cus i can hear it inside my house when im near the door. Im looking for a more agressive sound from it . The exhaust is practically brand new and i dont wanna spend money on it yet since there is nothing wrong with it. I measured and the exhaust goes into the top of my muffler and out the bottom so im gonna have to put a bend in there so they will line up but i cant see it being to hard to to attach to one another. Or should i go to a muffler shop and get them to make me a piece with a bend at the end to go out the side of my truck instead of tinkering around with trying to align them up to join one another?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
ya i looked underneith and my cat is gone so i was thinkin of getting rid of the muffler also. I let my truck warm up in the mornings also and no one has said anything yet about it but im sure they dont like it cus i can hear it inside my house when im near the door. Im looking for a more agressive sound from it . The exhaust is practically brand new and i dont wanna spend money on it yet since there is nothing wrong with it. I measured and the exhaust goes into the top of my muffler and out the bottom so im gonna have to put a bend in there so they will line up but i cant see it being to hard to to attach to one another. Or should i go to a muffler shop and get them to make me a piece with a bend at the end to go out the side of my truck instead of tinkering around with trying to align them up to join one another?

my muffler wasn't strait through either...i just got a 3 1/2'' or 4' whatever your exhaust is...pipe that was 4' long...took a sawzaw to the muffler....put the new pipe up for measure...cut off what i didn't need....went back and welded her on....the difference in the inlet and outlet on the muffler shouldn't make so much of a differ. that a bend is needed...just find someone who's good with a welder and let them take care of it...
if you want it to dump before the back tire then go for it:thumbs

Race22

Jim
Reaction score
I run a MBRP 4" system without a cat or muffler. Look at my race vidio for the sound. I love the way it sounds.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
whitewheelin, im takin it your truck is a 6.0L if so it will have more of a high rpm crackel and low rpm whistle,,,,,,Race 22's 7.3 sounds great (i really like that)....but yours (if it is a 6.0) it won't sound like that. either way its gunna sound great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14