Exhaust Pressure Control Valve

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I have read somewhere about disconnecting/or gutting out the EPCV to prevent it from restricting exhaust flow.

Is this a good mod? why should it be done? Is there anyone that has done this? Advantages/disadvantages?

Any instructions? I have my turbo off right now and think if there are advantages then I might as well do it now, if time allows.

:cowboy:

Reaction score
Read this thread, it even shows a picture of where to unplug the EBPV actuator.
http://superdutydiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850&page=1&pp=10
Why should it be done...well if you drive on slick roads in the winter you will want to do it because you wont get a nasty surprise when the valve decides to open or shut on it's own as you are trying to stay on the road a get a big boost or lag in power from the valve cycling. no disadvantage that I see.

Rick "COB" ;)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Disconnect the plug and wire the linkage on the valve open at the very least, gut it and be done with it for a one time cure. You live in KC which doesnt get terribly cold in the winter, just give the engine an extra two or three minutes warm up time in cold weather. The EBPV is nothing more than a nuisance IMHO.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Mike,by tying it back or gutting it doesn't that kill your boost pressure somewhat?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Mike,by tying it back or gutting it doesn't that kill your boost pressure somewhat?

No, when I unplugged mine I found it still wanted to close partially so I had to wire it in the full open position (where it runs when EOT is normal) but by gutting it you eliminate an obstacle in the exhaust gasses path on its way to freedom out the tail pipe, you will get a decrese in EGT's by gutting the EBPV and also will see much faster turbo spool response times with it gutted as well.

Most guys cant wipe the :D off their face from the increase in trubo whistle after a gut job. :sweet

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Im not as familiar with the SD's, but you guys have waste gates not EBPV's right?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
In my manual it's termed both as a Wastegate and exhaust back pressure valve.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Ok got the turbo back on but didn't have time to gut the EPBV, but did disconnect the wiring and the actuating arm ( actually I could'nt get the arm back connected :( ) and wired the valve open. I had to get this done to take it to the Dyno this weekend in Kansas :cowboy:

So I will have to gut it later.

Mike BTW it does get below 0* down here just not as cold as up there :cowboy: And with my chip I have high Idle for the winter to help warm her up :cowboy:

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
In my manual it's termed both as a Wastegate and exhaust back pressure valve.
SD have both, I like mine for the E-brake capabilities :dunno . I use it for that more then I thought I would and is a hell of a lot cheaper then even a pacbrake :eek: ! Its the wastegate I would love to lose :thumbs !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58