Exhaust Pressure Control Valve

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Im not as familiar with the SD's, but you guys have waste gates not EBPV's right?
Two completely different things,with totally different functions. A wastegate is a device on the exhaust side of the turbine housing of a turbocharger that bleeds off drive pressure to prevent an overspeed of the turbo or overboost condition.

An EBPV is mounted downstream of the turbine housing, and is a butterfly valve that restricts the exhaust flow out of the engine, creating backpressure, which does two things. One, it holds heat at the engine longer, helping it heat up, and two, it puts the engine under an artificial load, which makes it work harder, which also heats it up faster. The only function of the EBPV is to heat the engine up faster, and IMHO, the only reason you want to heat the engine up faster is for short trips in cold weather, or to heat the cab up faster in the morning. That is the function of the EBPV, and both the '94-97 and 99-up SD's have them.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
Two completely different things,with totally different functions. A wastegate is a device on the exhaust side of the turbine housing of a turbocharger that bleeds off drive pressure to prevent an overspeed of the turbo or overboost condition.

An EBPV is mounted downstream of the turbine housing, and is a butterfly valve that restricts the exhaust flow out of the engine, creating backpressure, which does two things. One, it holds heat at the engine longer, helping it heat up, and two, it puts the engine under an artificial load, which makes it work harder, which also heats it up faster. The only function of the EBPV is to heat the engine up faster, and IMHO, the only reason you want to heat the engine up faster is for short trips in cold weather, or to heat the cab up faster in the morning. That is the function of the EBPV, and both the '94-97 and 99-up SD's have them.

What Hoss 350 sez. (and welcome aboard Hoss). I, like CSIPSD's, have my EBPV wired to be used as a engine brake.... Not near as effective as an exhaust brake (but a helluva lot cheaper) but it does give me just the right amount of brakeing help going down hill. I use it alot. Wired the way I have, it does'nt function as a Warm Up thingy at all. Completely controled by a switch on my gear shift. If I want to use it for a faster warm up, I can just flip the switch.

Insted of gut'n my wastegate, I went for a Big Head actuater, till I git over 100K... anyway :dunno. Warrenty issues.

JOE

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
What Hoss 350 sez. (and welcome aboard Hoss). I, like CSIPSD's, have my EBPV wired to be used as a engine brake.... Not near as effective as an exhaust brake (but a helluva lot cheaper) but it does give me just the right amount of brakeing help going down hill. I use it alot. Wired the way I have, it does'nt function as a Warm Up thingy at all. Completely controled by a switch on my gear shift. If I want to use it for a faster warm up, I can just flip the switch.

Insted of gut'n my wastegate, I went for a Big Head actuater, till I git over 100K... anyway :dunno. Warrenty issues.

JOE

Big Joe, How did you wire that to use as an engine brake, that sounds like a very good mod, instead of disconnecting it make it usefull?
Did you just wire the connector to a switch in the cab (Pwr & gnd) ????

Ed :cowboy:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ed,

The EBPV only serves to be used as an exhaust brake if you have a manual transmission, but your sig doesnt state if you are Auto or Manual?

Mike

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:

JOE
Joe I'm interested in this mod also. I live on top of a 12% grade and 8,000# going down it everyday is not making my brakes real happy. Your gonna have to get out your pencil and do a DIY on this I think. :D

Crapola, I just read 95stroker's post about the manuel trans. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Joe I'm interested in this mod also. I live on top of a 12% grade and 8,000# going down it everyday is not making my brakes real happy. Your gonna have to get out your pencil and do a DIY on this I think. :D

Crapola, I just read 95stroker's post about the manuel trans. Nevermind.

You can do the mod with an automatic...BUT...you run the risk of ruining the Torque Converter as it was never designed to function as a clutch per say, it just doesn't have the surface area on the lock up clutch to act as an engine brake.

Rick "COB" ;)

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
BigRed CC dually said:
You can do the mod with an automatic...BUT...you run the risk of ruining the Torque Converter as it was never designed to function as a clutch per say, it just doesn't have the surface area on the lock up clutch to act as an engine brake.

Rick "COB" ;)

Just read Mike's post and this one, Ihave an Automatic trany, so this is out. I'll update my sig........

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:

JOE

The exhaust brake mod for your EBPV is really neat. What you said about it not being quite as good as a true aftermarket valve is correct. The EBPV controls backpressure by having a big hole in the middle of it. This means your RPMS have to be up quite a bit for it to provide much braking. Aftermarket EB's have varying ways of doing the same thing, but are more sophisticated about it, and control backpressure to provide better braking at lower RPMs.

That having been said, I did the EBPV mod on my truck too, and LOVE IT. While it may not necessarily SLOW the truck on every hill, what it does do is hold it at a steady speed instead of allowing it to run off down the hill. You don't have to use your service brakes hardly at all even on the steepest of hills with the heaviest of loads.

To those that asked, you can do the mod the way Joe did it by simply finding the wires that come out of the EBPV (at the base of the turbo pedestal, at the front). There are two wires for the EBPV, IIRC one is solid black, one is grey w/ black tracer. Cut the Grey wire and wire it to a switch that supplies 12V hot power fromt he battery. When you flip it on, the EBPV turns on, and voila! you have braking. I also use mine in conjuction with my homemade high-idle function to run my idle up to 1200 RPM, then close the EBPV to put it under load. That way, in the morning, it heats up FAST. In something like 5 min I had warm air at the vents in 15 F weather. It rocks.

To those that still want the EBPV to function the way the factory intended, but still want to use it as an exhaust brake, the task is only slightly more difficult. Just go get a couple rectifier diodes (electrical check valves) from Radio Shack. Cut the Grey wire, and soldier one diode to the PCM side of the wire, directed so that it prevents current from flowing TOWARDS the PCM. This keeps the PCM from getting a 12V hot signal when you manually operate the EBPV. Then take the other diode and soldier it to the wire from your switch, so that it prevent s current from flowing TOWARDS the switch. This keeps your switch from getting 12V hot when the PCM decides to turn ont he valve. Then, connect the other ends of BOTH diodes to the EBPV side of the grey wire. Run a hot 12V to your switch, and you have a EBPV that functions like fromt eh factory, but can also be manually turned on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58