exhaust question

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be getting a new exhaust system. I am looking at the MBRP 5" cat-back system. However, I'm not sure which would be more effective for lowering EGT. Would I be better off going with a MBRP 4" turbo-back? Please give any input, as I am going to buy the system Thursday. Thanks

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
What size DP is coming with it? 5" serves NO performance gain over 4" systems and can actually decrease low end grunt on stock trucks. 5" is for looks and sound, until you start pushin 500 rwhp.

A straight pipe 4" will give best flow and lower egt's enough to keep your truck from puking at long WOT intervals.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
If you want to stay legal, which I would suggest since you have SUCH a brand new truck is keep the cat and muffler on a 4" TB system.

I also see you're from baltimore. I could give you a hand if ya need one.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" turbo back, gut the cat and never look back. It will still pass emissions, still pass a visual and sound sweet! I have done this same thing to two 03's and one 06...

Shadow_Grey

Comfortably Numb
Reaction score
Greatest Nation on Earth! You don't like it, LEAVE
Just put a cat delete pipe on the truck the other night in the driveway. Squirt PB Blaster (use safety glasses to protect the eyes) on the 2 bolts up front, a little on the coupling and nut in back of the cat. Move back to the front and loosen the nuts off the stock studs of the cat pipe. Move back to the back again and take off the nut for the coupling. Tap around the coupling to loosen the pipes and pull off. Once pulled off put the cat test pipe on and bolt back together. Likewise when or if ever switching back.
Took all of about 20 minutes including getting wrenches and drinking a beer.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but thats just one more thing to do before a test... What if you get a visual inspection on the side of the road? Just gut it and be done... There is no restriction with is gutted and gives a nice expansion area to stop any drone...

Shadow_Grey

Comfortably Numb
Reaction score
Greatest Nation on Earth! You don't like it, LEAVE
The test in select counties in Illinois are only once every 2 years and they don't test diesels. I do this every two years with my mustang. Although changing a whole X pipe on a car that only sits 6 inches off the ground is a little bit of a pain. I don't know about visual inspections on the road. Never crossed anyone of those...DOT only pulls over the big trucks not pickups.

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by a guy I know that has a Chevy 2500 duramax that his never had a cat. Is that true? Because when he put in the new exhaust system, he went w/o the cat obviously (since he said it never had one). This guy seems to know what he is talking about.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 01 didnt have one, but I think all the 6.0's did... Not sure... Oregon doesnt test anything above 7900#'s... You can go turbo back and delete it or just gut it, your choise...LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58