Exhaust Smell

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have an overwhelming exhaust smell in the cab when your truck is idling or parked. Mine has always done this, but now that my wife is pregnant with our first:thumbs , she complains about it alot more.
-Is this typical, or a sign of an under hood problem?
-Your guys help, and jokes, are much appreciated.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The wife complaining is very typical, the exhaust smell in the cab is not.

And I hate to tell you this but you can only fix ONE of the above problems. :D

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I can help with one problem...

Sounds like the Y- pipe is cracked, it's the exhaust pipe between the 2 manifolds on the back end of the engine. Pretty common on the 6.0.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Do you get the exhaust smell every time you are idling or just sometimes? When I am warming up my truck I make sure the tailpipe is downwind or the smell is sucked in the heater intake an peeeeuuuuwwww.

Can't help any with the wife complaints sorry, mine does it too..

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The smell seems stronger when the engine is cold, which makes me think royfordguy is probably right. But I typically park the truck facing SE, which means our North winds would be blowing exhaust in the heater intake direction.

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
At the Doctor's

Took my 6.0 to my trusted :thumbs diesel mechanic Saturday. Apparently in the early 2003 models no exhaust gasket was used with new design of manifolds. There was a TSB that put gaskets in, but only if customer complained of smell. I also had broken bolts on both manifolds, and a cracked "Y" pipe.

Good news is its all warranty issues, and they are going to detail my truck when its complete!

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
YEP, sure is true. Mine did the same thing. Don't understand how they can get away w/ not putting in gaskets. Uumm duuh...Lets not do it and see if we can get away w/ something. Nope, guess not. I guess we will have to put out a TSB.. Sometimes i gotta wonder.

Glad it got fixed...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Took my 6.0 to my trusted :thumbs diesel mechanic Saturday. Apparently in the early 2003 models no exhaust gasket was used with new design of manifolds. There was a TSB that put gaskets in, but only if customer complained of smell. I also had broken bolts on both manifolds, and a cracked "Y" pipe.

Good news is its all warranty issues, and they are going to detail my truck when its complete!

thats great news madkaw. glad your gettin it fixed and detailed to boot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14