Help Needed Exhaust / Turbo Leak?

Discussion in '6.0L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by MuleMan, Jul 24, 2009.

1. dennisj2003

dennisj2003 Full Access Member

Exhaust Smell in Cab:
    If an exhaust smell is present in the cab, inspect for leaks at the exhaust manifolds. Ford's procedure calls for warming up the truck to operating temperature, then shutting off the engine, remove the EBP sensor and use a smoke machine to feed smoke into the exhaust system. Inspect each exhaust port, manifold flange and Y-pipe joint for smoke leakage. I find using a length of hose as a stethyscope while the engine is running works well to pinpoint exhaust leaks. If a leak is found at the exhaust manifold, replace only the manifold gasket that is leaking(I think this should read INSTALL a gasket, since originally there are no gaskets at the manifolds). Gasket P/N 5C4Z-9448-A.
    TSB 05-13-9.

2. fordoor

fordoor SDD Member

Anyone know how to make a homemade smoke feeding device for this procedure? I'm really needing to do this and don't want to pay a dealer for it.

3. MONSTERPLOW

MONSTERPLOW Cloud Booster 500HP

correct a mundo

4. dennisj2003

dennisj2003 Full Access Member

My way would be to have someone in the seat with the engine running, tranny in drive and power braking just a little, to get it to smoke good.
    Make sure it is someone you trust in the seat, and dont stick your head under the fender well, may have to take inner fender out to see the manifolds.:dunno
    I just seen this is a cali truck they not allowed to smoke,

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. fordoor

fordoor SDD Member

Let us know how this works out for you. I'm pretty certain I have the same problem. I'm still working on pinpointing it.