Exhaust

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
im new to deisel so bear with me...

a buddy of mine had a 97 c3500 dually. and i picked up a few things from him but not much. anyway, i love the black cloud that his truck made and that alot of deisels do. well my truck is stock and i want lots of black smoke lol (as well as more power but thats a given) i was just curious if it was as simple as uncorking the exhaust or what. i dont even know what the stock exhaust on my truck consists of, do i even have cats???

yea its a newbie question but everyone starts somewhere. i can answer questions about mustangs though lol.

EDIT: wow, completely not thinking my truck is a 7.3 i posted this in the 6.0 section. sorry.

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Shaggy said:

a buddy of mine had a 97 c3500 dually. and i picked up a few things from him but not much. anyway, i love the black cloud that his truck made and that alot of deisels do. well my truck is stock and i want lots of black smoke lol (as well as more power but thats a given) i was just curious if it was as simple as uncorking the exhaust or what. i dont even know what the stock exhaust on my truck consists of, do i even have cats???

yea its a newbie question but everyone starts somewhere. i can answer questions about mustangs though lol.

EDIT: wow, completely not thinking my truck is a 7.3 i posted this in the 6.0 section. sorry.

Black smoke is just unburnt (ie: wasted) fuel. The best way to get that is with a programmer set on the highest setting. I had the programmer before the aftermarket exhaust and it smoked like crazy when I chomped on the go-pedal on the tow-safe setting. Still does. :sweet

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Shaggy said:

yeah you could just drop about 1500 bucks and get a good programmer and gauges and an exhaust

i have the edge juice w/ attitude and i get smoke on the 3rd out of 5th setting, and ive blew a HUGE cloud on 5, but it had some tire in it also

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wont get any real power until you give it some more fuel. But start small and built up. First thing is guages, a pyro- EGT's (exhaust gas temps) should not get above 1250-1300, a trans temp- keep it under 225-230 at all costs, and boost (kind of for show) and keep it under 25# on the stock turbo.

Then an intake, the stock one is known to leak and not seal correctly, AFE stage 2 is about the best but very $$$, tymar is very cheap and flows good. Its all about how much you want to spend.

Exhaust, 4" down pipe to the back end. If you have a cat loose it- it does little if anything on a diesel. Duals are cool but serve no purpose, But I love MINE!!!

Then some kind of fuel adder, chips or programmers, its your choice on a 7.3. Chip = shift on the fly and more costom tuned, but harder install. Programmer = three programs, easy install, only SCT xcal vendors offer custom tune's.

broncof-250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I just bought hypertech programmer and I want to do exhaust. But not if I can't pass smog. Will I?

team_penin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I f you feel like you might have problems just program it back to stock then go for your test. All will be good in the eyes of the diesel gods!

The exhaust will have nothing to do with it...get the exhaust!

retiredin1993

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I also have a question on new exhaust. I have an 04 F250. I pull a 10,000 RV. I already have the guages installed and a programmer. I want to go the 4" exhaust route. I have been told to go with a 3 1/2 " down pipe and others say 4" some thing to do with back pressure. Also to leave the cat on so the warranty want be voided. One other thing I have been told there is a clearance problem with the 250 with the 6 ltr. Any suggestions and recommendation greatly appreciated.

Ron

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
retiredin1993 said:
I also have a question on new exhaust. I have an 04 F250. I pull a 10,000 RV. I already have the guages installed and a programmer. I want to go the 4" exhaust route. I have been told to go with a 3 1/2 " down pipe and others say 4" some thing to do with back pressure. Also to leave the cat on so the warranty want be voided. One other thing I have been told there is a clearance problem with the 250 with the 6 ltr. Any suggestions and recommendation greatly appreciated.

Ron

I've heard from many people that there isn't much room for a 4" downpipe on the 6.0; you can fit it in there but it tends to make quite a bit of noise rattling on everything if it isn't adjusted just right. Not sure about the backpressure issue. I installed the MBRP system, 3.5" downpipe, 4" everything else and it was like uncorking the truck performance wise.

As far as the cat, I don't see a point removing it. Some guys have but it isn't worth it for me. Pretty steep fines if you get caught, but I imagine getting caught is pretty unlikely.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
As far as the cat, I don't see a point removing it. Some guys have but it isn't worth it for me. Pretty steep fines if you get caught.

There are cat police now???:watchout What will they think of next? First elevator inspectors, now cat police. Only in America! :roflmao

FWIW, if you get the MBRP exhaust, it has the provision to put the cat back in. I agree with the 4" comment. Mark Craig's truck was the test dummy (the truck not Mark :roflmao), for the original DPPI exhaust and they did a lot of testing on a lot of trucks including his. Some the 4" worked, some it did not. That's why the downpipe starts at 3.5 like stock, and then goes to 4". Yoda in fact bought the MBRP duals and just put the sections behind the stock cat (left the stock downpipe), on his 04 and it worked perfectly. That is a very well engineered system. They have taken great steps to help you keep it "EPA Certified".

Barrett

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14