Extended cranking question

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past month I have to do some extended cranking on my 06 to get it started. It is probably cranking twice as long as it did previously, and then starts and runs fine. I do not want to get flashed, so I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I'd wager the HPOP is on the way out. It will finally not start at all at the least convenient location. On the newer trucks thay have an improved seal that can be changed instead of the entire pump, but unless your REAL good with the tools, I'd let a qualified tech deal with it. Just my .02

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does it start normally when cold, if so its probably related to the oil pump but may be the Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Valve. The truck will eventually fail to start at all and as already advised its a pretty long day to change the pump out so I'd get it diagnosed before it doesn't start at all.

Sometimes they go a long time like that and other times...well when you need it most....
Just sayin

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you changed oil/filters? I'd start there. It's the easiest, and since oil is directly related to the injection system it's worth a try.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it do it only when its cold ?

theres a couple of issues w/ the line fittings on the 05-07 hpop
that created some issues... you need a minimum of 500psi (oil)
to start the truck...sounds like the hpop could be leaking down....
the cranking maybe raising the oil pressure (eventually) so that
it starts.

NHKR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine starting doing the same exact thing you describe, and it left me stranded on the highway a few months later. Dealer replaced the lift pump and it has been fine since.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
My now has about 5900 miles. Brand new, it took a little longer to start than my 01 7.3 did. It now takes about 3-4 seconds of cranking to start. I know 3 secs seems like a long time, but my 7.3 literally started in about 1 sec, after waiting for the light to shut down.

At 4800 miles my dealer said to wait til after the oil change I was there for, that would fix it. 1,000 miles after the first oil change, it didn't change anything. Did my 7.3 set my standards and expectations too high:sly ? Is 3 secs a good start time? What do you guys mean by it takes "a long time" to start?:dunno

Thanks!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
an oil change would not make a BIT of difference.

the issue <probably> is that you the PCM & engine need to
see a MINIMUM of 500 psi (from the HPOP)....extended cranking
COULD building the pressure until the pcm & hpop see the base
500 psi oil.

the only real way to check is to run some pressure tests to determine
if the hpop is leaking down or if theres another problem...

there is a tsb for the 05, 06 & 07 trucks that replaces the
hpop connector/line and theyre adding a bracket to resolve the problem.
FDDTS - HPOP Connector Bracket

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl