Extra fuel capacity

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The day you start putting extra fuel tanks in the 08 SuperDuty is the day you can kiss your fuel gauge goodbye.... those ICM's HATE extra tank setups (unless you know somebody that can change the configuration of the cluster).

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
The day you start putting extra fuel tanks in the 08 SuperDuty is the day you can kiss your fuel gauge goodbye.... those ICM's HATE extra tank setups (unless you know somebody that can change the configuration of the cluster).

Awww man that sucks. So how do they set it up for a 28 or 38 gal tank from the factory. Are those the only two presets?

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You can get a dual tank setup from the factory but you have to change the configuration in the ICM to install it aftermarket, which we're not allowed to do. Not to say you couldn't clone an identical vehicle, but it would have to be identical.

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you installed a second fuel tank that fed the first and kept it full, the ICM and PCM would see no fuel usage and would eventually set a fuel sender signal failure and display E on the gauge, the low fuel light, and "Low Fuel Level" in the message center.
If you installed a factory system with tank selector switch and all, the gauge would not switch tanks when you used the selector switch. Most likely the gauge, light and message would come on after driving for a period of time on the secondary tank. Can't say I've validated that scenario, though.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beginning in 2005 the check engine light comes on after 200miles if the
fuel gauge hasnt moved.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
So then i guess if somebody still wanted an aftermarket tank, the only option would be to get an aftermarket guage and sending unit. I just want to make sure there arent going to be any codes causing problems with day to day operations. I can deal with the display showing no fuel and having an aftermarket gauge but if it starts tripping codes that need to be reset by dealers, then we are getting into some serious problems.

Bush, do you have AutoEnginuity? I can't remember if you said you had it or not.

Last edited:

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You would still run into the gauge, check engine light, and low fuel message after running off the secondary tank for a while.
If you are looking to extend the range of your truck, you would need to use the secondary tank as a personal gas pump, filling the primary tank with the key off when it was empty.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then i guess if somebody still wanted an aftermarket tank, the only option would be to get an aftermarket guage and sending unit. I just want to make sure there arent going to be any codes causing problems with day to day operations. I can deal with the display showing no fuel and having an aftermarket gauge but if it starts tripping codes that need to be reset by dealers, then we are getting into some serious problems.

Bush, do you have AutoEnginuity? I can't remember if you said you had it or not.

2005+ trucks will set a code.
2004 and older trucks can be reprogramed.

yes, i have autoenginuity...and i highly recommend it.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
You would still run into the gauge, check engine light, and low fuel message after running off the secondary tank for a while.

Right, this I understand. My question is more on the lines of will the factory gauge still work if the code is tripped? If the computer cuts power (or provides ground - how ever the gauge works) and makes the gauge go to E then the gauge is useless. I would have more fuel carrying capacity but it would be pointless due to the fact that the gauge is now at E and I have no way to tell how much fuel I have left.... therefore the need for the aftermarket gauge.

IF, when the code is tripped, all i get is the stupid display saying low fuel i can live with that as long as the gauge is working.

I just wanted to say thanks, it's better to find out on the forum than finding out after installing the fuel tank.

Bush, i was asking because i was wondering if it was possible to clear the code while driving and reset the guage. I know you dont have an 08 but the thought came to my mind. I have my laptop in my truck setup for GPS, it wouldn't take much to hook up AE. Just thinking outloud.

-Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg