extreme drivetrain vibration. cannot drive truck

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it happens at a dead crawl. UNDER LOAD. like on a hill, or towing, or if i put my foot past about 1/4 throttle. i cant even pull out in traffic.
The RPM are going up and the truck is not moving like it should.
This and 40" tires and the chance the truck has a 3.73 gear. I would say a good chance the trans. is the problem.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
The only other thing i can think of, is if the gears in the rear are missing some teeth. I've seen a couple vehicles do what you describe because the ring and pinion where shot. Also, i wonder about the side gears in the case, maybe one broke.....Don't ask me how I know...... Just food for thought. Good luck

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe your rear end is going out? Check it out under your diff cover. If not that, 1st or 2nd gears could be taking a crap on you. I've had both happen recently (both within 9 months...damm the luck, right?!) and both had serious vibration/shaking issues like it was killing itself.

just my .02 from previous experience

Last edited:

superdub01

SDD USMC/Wyotech
Reaction score
hey sorry for the super late response, but i havent been on here in a while. so i found the problem, and it turns out the slip yoke splines on my rear driveshaft were worn out. they had too much play in them and when they were loaded, they actually locked together. so naturally as the rear axle wrapped up under load and the driveshaft didnt compensate for this, the axle wrap was transferred to the transfer case, which violently shook it back and forth. so i had a new driveshaft made, and the problem is solved. thanks again for all the input!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14