Extreme frt. end shimmy TSB

2ManyToys

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm working out an extreme front end shimmy that randomly occurs after hitting a bump. You have to slow way down to recover. Didn't do it with my heavy 37" Toyos, it showed up when I put on my narrower/lighter 37" BFG ATs for winter. Its been suggested there's a TSB concerning "adjustable caster shims" to correct the problem. Its only been 450 miles since the lift, so I haven't checked alignment yet. Thought I'd see if Ford would pay for the adjustable shims (TSB). Anyone know what the number might be? I've also found TSB 04-26-1 "Steering wheel oscillation after riding over bumps". It suggests tightening down the steering gear mesh load adjustment. Thoughts? Any one else have a similar problem? :thanks

atk

Reaction score
i have been having simiar problems. my truck is only at stock height and stock tire size for now. will be trying a steering stabalizer shock on my truck.i assume you have one already being an 07 and having a lift. my truck is going in for some warranty work on monday and i was going to talk to service manager about it, among some other issues....if i learn anything i will let you know.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hummmm..............the death wobble on the new trucks??? :dunno

Tbar

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You know, I've been having that same problem with my truck. I figured it was due to the new suspension when the '05's came out. Steering is kinda sensitive. Corners very well though. Kinda caught my attention while going over a bump in the road and not having my hands on the steering wheel. SCARY!!! Is there a recall or TSB on it. Haven't been to the dealership lately. Last time I was there, I was getting the 05B35 reflash done to my truck.

kusto

Frozen PSD
Reaction score
I had very same issue with mine...found to be more prominant on the FX4's. I have 3" lift and 35" Toyos and it was not as a result of either. Nearly scared the crap outta me a few times, had the TSB done and now it is actually a pleasure to drive. Still going to add the dbl shock stabilizer due to the larger tires. GIT-ER-DONE!!!!

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
kusto said:
I had very same issue with mine...found to be more prominant on the FX4's. I have 3" lift and 35" Toyos and it was not as a result of either. Nearly scared the crap outta me a few times, had the TSB done and now it is actually a pleasure to drive. Still going to add the dbl shock stabilizer due to the larger tires. GIT-ER-DONE!!!!

So is there a TSB on the front end shimmy? If so, what is the name or recall # of it? That way I can get it done and not worry about driving over any potholes. Besides, I thought that was one of the reasons in buying a 4WD truck, so you can basically drive over anything.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
In the Jeep world its called the Death Wobble, It can be from several problems, I will help you narrow it down.. Check these Items out

A. Alignment (after lift or lowering)
B. Hub Bearings
C. Ball Joints bad
D. Drag Link not Parralel with Track Bar, Axle rotated to much one way
E. front axle needs to have an Adjustable track Bar
F. Bad bushings (control arms to axle, or frame side of control arms)

One of these Items are bad and finding it and correcting it will fix the dreaded death wobble

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14