Extremely Cold Natured Startup

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if the extremely cold natured startup of my 6.0 is normal. I'll typically always let the truck warm up around 5 mins or so before I take off & go. Since I installed the block heater cord, that's a big difference in startup, i can just get in a go.

But, when I startup on a 35 deg morning after not having the block heater plugged in, this thing sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders for about 30 seconds, then slowly starts smoothing out.

Then, if I start moving after about 3 mins, the truck doesn't want to shift gears until it's spinning 3000 rpm. After about 2 miles, the truck smooths out to normal. If I let it warm up for around 10 mins, there's no problem.

Is this normal? This truck seems to be bone stock, except for some sort of XHF antenna up in the headliner that a buddy of mine says might be for an aftermarket alarm.

Just want to hear some thoughts...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesel engines are heat ignition engines. This means that they use heat to fire the fuel/air mixture, so when it is cold, they are rough until they warm up. This is normal.

Dave

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the principle to diesel engines already. It just doesn't seem right that the engine has to rev so high before the trans will actually shift gears.

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Motorcraft 15w40, and have never messed with reflashes or PCM tunes. Not sure about the previous owner...

atk

Reaction score
Running Motorcraft 15w40, and have never messed with reflashes or PCM tunes. Not sure about the previous owner...

try using a 5w40 synthetic oil....there are reflashes(from Ford)for the computers(PCM,FICM and trans computer) that will also address all your problems....hope this helps

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try using a 5w40 synthetic oil....there are reflashes(from Ford)for the computers(PCM,FICM and trans computer) that will also address all your problems....hope this helps

Good idea. Thanks. I'll be going to the ford dealer anyway to get some new hub seals, I'll find out about the reflashes as well.

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - 15w40 when it's cold will make a big difference. Even when mine is plugged in here in the Chicago burbs its tough. Yesterday, we went down to about 6* with windchills in the negatives. Started it up and let it warm for about 10 minutes. First 4 or 5 shifts were slow. Just takes longer for the whole shabang to warm up with that stuff. Last year I had the 5w40 or 10w30 when Ford did the oil change and it would warm up faster.

bob68vw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what grade oil you using? have you had the most recent reflashes done?

I went to Ford yesterday and they told me there are no bulletins or recalls, they wanted $129.00 to flash the pcm in mine, told him it aint that big of a deal

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Reflash makes a BIG difference in cold starting ability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58