F-150's Are Tough!!!

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update about how tough the F-150's are (as if no one knew it already). About four weeks ago, my youngest son (25 yr old deputy sheriff) had worked all night (3rd shift) then an off duty job at a church. About 1230 PM he was about 1/2 mile from home and dozed off and hit a utility pole going about 60 mph. His 2 1/2 month old 2005 F-150 SuperCab 5 1/2 ft bed hit the pole with the right front headlight. My son realized what was happening just in time to swerve enough to keep the accident from being worse. The accident practically ripped off the right front fender, knocked the right front suspension almost 90 degrees away from the frame, but didn't bend the passenger door. He wasn't hurt, but was sick because his new truck was torn up, up to then, he didn't have a scratch on it and had 4000 miles on it. He drove my PSD until a couple of weeks ago when the dealer got in a 2006 F150 Super Crew, identical to his other one except for the cab. He looked at the wrecked truck at the body shop and said there were pieces broken that he didn't even know was on it. The estimated damages were $17,000. He got lucky with the 2006 because they had a $5000 rebate on it, and got a really good deal. He also got lucky because the utility guy who came to the scene said if he had "t-boned" it, he wouldn't have made it. When we got the call, I found out how fast my PSD would run - between 95 and 100!

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
wow
good thing he is stirred and not to shaken.

i keep asking the crash test folks to do a superduty.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should, since there are so many on the road. It would probably get lots more stars than GM or Dodge!! Probably get 5 stars in all categories.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
i know one thing, its gonna take a hell of a beating to get hurt in this monster!!!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
02SilverStroke said:
my youngest son (25 yr old deputy sheriff)dozed off and hit a utility pole going about 60 mph.
Did he write himself a ticket? I know a guy that dozed off this summer while towing a boat to Valdez. He got a big fine and I forget how many points but it was a quite a few. I think they called it negligent or something like that.

Glad to hear the F-150 is tough. We are selling our Excursion this winter and then might buy a new F-150 next spring.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Did he write himself a ticket? I know a guy that dozed off this summer while towing a boat to Valdez. He got a big fine and I forget how many points but it was a quite a few. I think they called it negligent or something like that.

Glad to hear the F-150 is tough. We are selling our Excursion this winter and then might buy a new F-150 next spring.
No he didn't write himself a ticket, but he did have the paperwork with him to work the accident. It was on a paved county road and it took 20 minutes for someone to get there because of another accident in the area. The trooper that worked it is a good friend. Sure wish you were in the North Texas area, I can recommend a good salesman that I've known for nearly 20 years. The new F-150's are really nice. I'll be glad when Ford wakes up and puts a diesel in them.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
The added bonus is that your son didn't get hurt. :)

I saw a Chevy diesel 1 ton flatdeck hit a Jeep a couple of years ago on the highway. The steering column of the Chevy got drove back nearly 6 inches. Thank god the guy was skinny. And he hit the jeep on the side after it lost control.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
02SilverStroke said:
The new F-150's are really nice. I'll be glad when Ford wakes up and puts a diesel in them.
She is just going to drive the Explorer until spring so maybe they will have diesel plans for the f150 by then. We are going to spend the winter with no payments(once the ex sells)so that we can afford to keep the house warm. Friggin heating oil price is about to kill us:cussing:

I see you have a Ford 500. One of those is second or third on her list. For our weather the awd system sounds like the cats meow. How do you like yours?

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I see you have a Ford 500. One of those is second or third on her list. For our weather the awd system sounds like the cats meow. How do you like yours?
The 500 is really nice. We got it in mid-July during the employee pricing sale. We now have over 12,000 miles on it and get anywhere from 18 to 30 mpg. If we have lots of "in town" driving it's more toward the 18 mpg range. I went to Louisiana Sunday (600 mile round trip) and brought my mother to my house for Thanksgiving, and got almost 30 mpg. The specs say it's a 19 gallon tank but the 06 specs state it has a 20 gallon tank. Ours is the SEL model and has the message center which is really nice. We test drove the Limited, but our SEL is "just right" (as the baby bear said). It also has traction control, which I think is like a limited slip axle. You'd probably like the awd version in your area, although I'm not sure about the CVT transmission. Ours is the fwd version with the six speed trans. The rear seat has almost as much legroom as my crew cab truck, and the trunk is bigger than a Crown Victoria. I read a rumor not long ago that they might make a police package for the car with a small V8. We try to keep the RPMs right at 2000 (65 mph) for better economy. If I floor the accelerator, the RPMs jump to about 6500. If you look at the brochures, there's a diagram of the framework. You'll notice that the top of the car has roll bars made into the roof. They don't call them rollbars, but the different parts are color-coded, and when you read the codes, you could interpret it to be roll bars. According to their diagrams, the cage portion is very well built and offers good protection. Ours has the sunroof and leather interior, which is really nice. My wife spilled coffee all over it the other day and it was a snap to clean up. If we'd had cloth, it would have been totally different. When you all get ready, check out this website: www.forddirect.com and you can check out your local dealer's inventory and pick out the exact car you want and see the window sticker. Sorry to ramble on and on, but you can tell that we like the car.

snoeproe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i can vouch for the strength of the F150 chassis.
last december i was on my way on a 2 hr trip to my mothers place for x mas. my wife and i were in my 2003 F150 supercrew and we were driving in a terrible snow storm. on a large sweeping left turn the back end of the truck broke free and we started doing circles on the highway at 55 mph. we ended up hitting the deep ditch and rolled the truck. when the truck came to rest we were both fine but were upside down in the truck.

thats the day i found out that the box sides on my truck were fibreglass. i didn't know that untill i smashed the truck up. the rear of the box was pushed completly up to the cab. the chassis was not broke at all, it did however get slightly bent so the truck was written off by the insurance company. the ditch we ended up in was a 6 foot drop off the wighway. i was proud to say that day that my truck was "built ford tough". it kept me and my wife perfectly safe durring an extremly traumatic accident. i now own a 2005 F250 crewcab PSD. glad to be a happy ford owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim