Question f-250 tires

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've got a 99 f250 flatbed that i am using as a backup truck to my f450. the 250 will be for the most part light deliveries and passenger truck. i have both bumper pull and goose neck hitch.

i will be replacing tires soon. the tires i have currently came with the truck...lt265/75r16 load range c (2470lbs) 50 psi.

i'm thinking about replacing rear tires with a load range D tire (65 psi) and replacing the front tires with the same load range c (50 psi). my goal is to have the rear more stable under a heavy load condition just in case, but keeping some tires on that will give me a smoother ride as this is half personal and half work truck...

any feedback is helpful...you are allowed to call me a jackass if necessary..thanks

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Calling you names won't get the information that you need. You should have load Range E tires on the F-250. The minimum would be load Range D if you do not haul much weight. The load range has to do with the weigh carrying capacity of your tires and not the psi in them. You can pump air in a tire until it just about blows and it will not increase the tires load rating.

Dave :)

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the f250 is 2x..........and yes i understand psi. the different load range tires all have different specs when it comes to psi.....the higher the psi rating (that is acceptable psi that won't blow up your tire) the more the weight the tire can hold; there is a direct correlation.

I'm thinking load range E may be overkill.....remember I'm looking for a decent ride and fuel mileage as this truck is a backup for hauling....and any thoughts on having e/d as rear tires and d/c as front tires?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't go to C load range. This is dangerous as they will be over loaded and most of your empty weight is on the front (engine).

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235/75/r16, load range E ... at a minimum.. For the [Safety] of the Driver & Passengers, the Motoring Public, Loaded or Unloaded.

Never MIX.. Brand, Style, Load Range or Construction Design. (except for Snow/Studded tires on the drivers, in the Winter)

Last edited:

Laughing Buddha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
makes sense.....i had all of the same thoughts.....driving on the C rated tires right now doesn't sit well with me. i intend on switching all tires to either D or E.

The difference between the D and E is, on average, 300 lbs+-, depending on tire. For an F250, when factoring in gvwr, it looks like 235/85/r16 D would fit the bill, and an E would be a little overkill......

question: would going to an E be overkill that would no doubt be safer, but sacrifice fuel mileage and/or ride comfort? The cost difference between the two tires would be an average of $30+-

dpantazis

Reaction score
think about load rating and capacity some more.

for $120 total, its not really worth the peace of mind. and if you blow a tire, its gonna cost you more than $120 to fix or replace it.

i think that you are best off going to E. then ensure they are aired up properly. ride is going to be like a truck because it IS a truck.

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question: would going to an E be overkill that would no doubt be safer, but sacrifice fuel mileage and/or ride comfort? The cost difference between the two tires would be an average of $30+-

IMO ? MPG's & Comfort would be moot.. The cost difference would be worth every penny. I'd betcha if you shopped around, you could cut that $30 bucks down to -20 if you "bundle" the deal by work'n seller.. on his mount & balance costs (his labor)... on 4 E rated tires.

Get some quotes.. go Tire Shop to Tire Shop ?

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim