Question f250 pulling 11,000lb 5th wheel

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Wow thanks Pony and Big Joe. Theres a lot to consider here. I have had the truck for 2 years and just acquired the trailer on a trade. I took it by flying j scales on the drive home and thats how I found out the weight.
I have previously weighed the truck and know it weighs 8600 lbs. It is f250 super cab 6.0l powerstroke, with automatic.
When I looked at the scale ticket I saw that the gvw was 19200 lbs. It showed 5400 lbs on the rear axle
I should say that of course the trailer was empty. We're in the process of outfitting it and will look at the weights again when we are done.
The biggest reason I wanted to keep this particular truck is because it is paid for...
Thanks again
Denny

Well it sounds like you understand what numbers you need to work with to figure out your capabilities with the truck as it sits now. I can't remember the rear axle rating for a 2004 F-250 but I'm guessing that 5,400 lbs. is probably getting close. And notice that each rear tire is rated at exactly half of the Max Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating. Once you exceed Rear GAWR you'll be gambling with your possesions, so please be safe. BigJoe gave you some suggestions on mods so good luck with your decision.

DennyF

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was thinking air bags may be the way to go.. As for the other mods mentioned, I would definately be interested in researching those.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SuspensionConnection.com might be a site to start your research ?

Joe

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
My friend tows a 13400GVW 5th wheel trailer with his 2004 F350. I tow a 15500GVW 5th wheel trailer with my F250. The only difference between the 2 trucks is mine is a 2005 with better tow rating and my ride is much better. I towed an 11000 Lbs 5th wheel trailer for 9 years with my 98 6.5L GM 2500. It road like a Caddy. Keep your truck stock and check the total weight of truck and trailer your truck can haul. Drive safely and you will be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58