F250 rumble at 60mph

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have been noticing a low rumble in what i believe is in the drive train or rear end. It comes around 60 mph and when turning after a stop. When towing a trailer its real noticable at turns. When coasting around 55 it does it briefly. Its driving me nuts!!! Not sure if i have rear end going out or a driveshaft that needs to be balanced. Any help would be great before i have to bring it in.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been noticing a low rumble in what i believe is in the drive train or rear end. It comes around 60 mph and when turning after a stop. When towing a trailer its real noticable at turns. When coasting around 55 it does it briefly. Its driving me nuts!!! Not sure if i have rear end going out or a driveshaft that needs to be balanced. Any help would be great before i have to bring it in.

I'd start looking real close at U-joints

X2 on U-joints.. and the Carrier bearing and Slip Joint too... ?

Joe

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I finaly tore the driveshaft out today. The u joints are fine along with the carrier bearing. The slip yoke seemed to have a little slop, but it was minimal. Im going to have it inspected and balanced and see what happens from there... Yes it is four wheel drive

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got the rumble at 60 MPH solved by having the drive shaft balanced. But it still rumbles when turning at a stop, especially when towing. I wonder if its just the over size tires.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
are ya positive it is coming from the rear check front wheel bearings, especially the needle bearings around the axle

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I got the rumble at 60 MPH solved by having the drive shaft balanced. But it still rumbles when turning at a stop, especially when towing. I wonder if its just the over size tires.

maybe change the lube in the rear diff?

does it chatter/vibrate as well?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
3 or 4 trucks ago, I had a 4X4 that made noise when turning. It had a tight posi and it was the clutches chattering when I went around corners. I left it alone and drove it.

Dave ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14