F250 SD cab thickness for mounting overhead console

jksweld

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Iam in the planning process of making a custom overhead console for my 02 SD and was wondering if the cab is double roof or single with ribs. Was planning on putting in some screws to hold it in place and didn't want to run them plum through the cab. This console will just have a small cobra cb and a switch panel for some lights that Iam gone to add, aux back up lights, lights in the headache rack (when it gets built), and a few extra switchs for future projects.

So am I gonna be ok with some screws to hold it up or not, any other thoughts or suggestions

Thanks James

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 05 is just a single piece of sheet metal with ribs, I would bet the 02's are the same.

Including my 2K.

There Is how ever, about a 3 or 4" lip that runs across the inside front. Yer Visor clips are screwed into it. If you remove the clips, you can >gently< pull the headliner down and feel up in there to see/feel what you have to work with.

I Fab'd a mount for a Radar Detector, centered above the mirror useing that lip. Very stout when screwed into it. Tucked the wireing up under the headliner.. looks OEM.

:dunno

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
You could just run some bolts down through the top and caulk em up...it wouldn't fall down at least :tongue2

:sorry

jksweld

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys

I've took off the sun visors and pulled the headliner down a bit and took a look, I will be able to screw the front of the console in the lip that the visors mount to, and the back of it on the next rib back, that runs across where the grab handle is.

Got the bare wood structure built today and will work on the alum. bottom tomarrow, gone to do a write up on it as I build it with some pics, would the aftermarket and accessories forum be the right place to post that?

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Make sure you take plenty of pics, I can't wait to see how it turns out.
I had thought about doing something like that for my Cobra 148 but decided to go the easy route with a removable floor console.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14