Help Needed F250 super duty just dies and can't figure out what's wrong

Rose Anne

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2005 F250 Super Duty Diesel. I've had all routine maintenance done on it since day one and never had a lick of trouble....last week while driving, it started to hesitate, then you could feel like a surge or acceleration in the engine, but it wasn't from me giving it anymore gas, then it died, i restarted the engine and kept going. It did this a couple of times and then it wouldn't start again and had to have it towed. the mechanic put it on a computer and did not get any error codes. They looked at the fuel filters which were quite dirty and they changed them...I took the truck back from the mechanic and used it for 3 more days. On the 3rd day I filled the tank and then noticed the acceleration surge again. I got to my destination, stopped the truck and then could not get it started for a 1/2 hour. The mechanic has the truck again and they can't figure out what's wrong. When you try to start the truck after it has died, it starts to "start" but then it kind of shakes/vibrates and dies like its not getting fuel. Please help me!! Thank you so much. Rose Anne

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 F250 Super Duty Diesel. I've had all routine maintenance done on it since day one and never had a lick of trouble....last week while driving, it started to hesitate, then you could feel like a surge or acceleration in the engine, but it wasn't from me giving it anymore gas, then it died, i restarted the engine and kept going. It did this a couple of times and then it wouldn't start again and had to have it towed. the mechanic put it on a computer and did not get any error codes. They looked at the fuel filters which were quite dirty and they changed them...I took the truck back from the mechanic and used it for 3 more days. On the 3rd day I filled the tank and then noticed the acceleration surge again. I got to my destination, stopped the truck and then could not get it started for a 1/2 hour. The mechanic has the truck again and they can't figure out what's wrong. When you try to start the truck after it has died, it starts to "start" but then it kind of shakes/vibrates and dies like its not getting fuel. Please help me!! Thank you so much. Rose Anne

A Suggestion Rose Anne ?

With no codes detected, after a Diagnostic Scan by your Mech.. a good place to start trouble-shooting would be, at the Power source, your Battery's.

Ask your Mech (or DIY) to clean the Battery Posts, Cables & Clamps REAL good. see if that helps ???? Have them Load Test the Battery's (individually/isolated) too ?

Joe

And OBTW... WELCOME TO SDD.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
See if there are any recalls for the truck. seems like i remember there being one for a disconnect on a hpop line that might have caused similar issues to yours..

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Have your mechanic check fuel pressure for the HPOP it has to be at least 500psi to even start. Mine was 85psi when it finally gave up.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:SDD2 Rose Ann. These are all good guesses, but that is all they are; guesses. You need to get your truck scanned by Ford or your local mechanic. By scanning your trucks computer, it will show all of the "codes" that the computer has stored. These codes are called DTC's for Diagnostic Trouble Codes and they are charted here at SDD and other places. TikiWiki : Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes will give you the codes from this site. You need the codes to tell you and your mechanic what may be wrong with your truck. All of the above answers are from people who I have known for years and they are good answers. You and your mechanic will know what is wrong with your truck after it is scanned. Good Luck Rose Ann.

Dave :)

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Dave he did have it scanned. It showed no codes. Mine did basically the same thing and never showed a code even when it died with the Ford tech driving it with the scanner hooked up. These things can be a beast to figure out if they don't trigger a code. Everbody has had good suggestions. Without everyones input I wouldn't have known what to quiz the tech about when they were trying to figure mine out. I'm glad I learned about some of the possible things that can go wrong and not set of any bells or whistles. Got to guess sometimes but when it could be warranty the dealer doesn't want to just throw parts at it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Have your mechanic check fuel pressure for the HPOP it has to be at least 500psi to even start. Mine was 85psi when it finally gave up.

I think I'd like to know a couple of values, injector control pressure & fuel system pressure

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the ICP sensor. The truck needs to have a scanner on it. Check ICP, IPR, RPM, Fuel PW, and EGR. That's were I would start there are a lot more values to check. I think you'll find the answer with these 5. Any more problems just let me know what the specs were.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58