F350 Superduty Diesel jump start

bcfrenzy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, My Ford F350 failed to start over the weekend. I called in AAA to jump for me. There are two batteries in my F350 & the AAA hooked up one battery only when he asked me to try. Nothing happened & he hooked the cable to the other battery, again there was nothing. I had the truck towed to the dealership. The mechanics there told me that the two batteries are in series... I immediately understood how the jump cable should be hooked to my truck. I ended up having to replacing two original batteries. The dealership mechanic said that the way AAA jumped my truck (hooking up only to one battery) could have damaged the battery that was not hooked up.

Is it true that jumping a truck with two battery in series by hooking up only one of them could damage the battery?

Thanks.

Francis in Bend, Oregon

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Never heard of that before.My Duramx would only jump off one batt and not the little jump posts they had.But my Excursion I have had to had jumped a few times, because of lights left on and now a weak batt, and I just hook on the batt thats having the problem.Im sur esome expert will give ya the low down on it shortly,lol.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I surely dont qualify as an expert but................ you jump your dual battery F-350 the same way you jump any other vehicle.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The dealership mechanic said that the way AAA jumped my truck (hooking up only to one battery) could have damaged the battery that was not hooked up.

I have never heard of that.............oh, welcome aboard!!!

Tbar

AK HDM

Reaction score
I'm with everyone else, jumping to one battery won't hurt it. Also the batteries are connected Parallel. If they were connected in series, it would be a 24 volt system instead of 12 volt.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hey, My Ford F350 failed to start over the weekend. I called in AAA to jump for me. There are two batteries in my F350 & the AAA hooked up one battery only when he asked me to try. Nothing happened & he hooked the cable to the other battery, again there was nothing. I had the truck towed to the dealership. The mechanics there told me that the two batteries are in series... I immediately understood how the jump cable should be hooked to my truck. I ended up having to replacing two original batteries. The dealership mechanic said that the way AAA jumped my truck (hooking up only to one battery) could have damaged the battery that was not hooked up.

Is it true that jumping a truck with two battery in series by hooking up only one of them could damage the battery?

Thanks.

Francis in Bend, Oregon

Get your truck out of that dealership NOW!!! Those mechanics are a bunch of dumbasses!!! The electrical systems on these trucks are 12 volt with the batteries hooked in PARALLEL not in series. If the the batteries were hooked in series, the electrical system would be 24 volt and that is most certainly not the case. Try to hook the batteries in series and dead batteries will be the least of your problems. Your PCM, IDM, radio, instrument cluster and lord knows what else will go up in smoke!!!

RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does SOMETIMES (if the batteries are low enough) take TWO
batteries and TWO sets of jumper cables to start the diesel !

it all depends on how good (and large) the jump battery is !

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
We had to jump a friends truck once with one of them portable jump packs and a truck.He had 2 get 2 new batts.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I'm with everyone else, jumping to one battery won't hurt it. Also the batteries are connected Parallel. If they were connected in series, it would be a 24 volt system instead of 12 volt.

true they are connected parallel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58