F350 Superduty Diesel jump start

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do, especially on a multiple battery setup with only one set of cables is to hook them up and let them charge up for a while, walk around smoking ciggarettes or whatever for 15 minutes but theave the key alone. Not good to just hook up cables and immediatle start trying to crank it over..... These are not Honda Civics.

I once jump started my 1985 Ford LTL 9000 with a 4 battery setup. It had a 400HP 3406B CAT with a ricer when my alternator died on a trip. It took a while and we made dayum sure to disconnect the cables before cranking it over. Got it fired up and over to a shop to rebuild the alternator, no harm done to anything.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...i work 4 AAA...had 2 jump a diesel...didnt think i wuz gonna get the truck started, but only hooked up 2 1 of hiz batts and 1 of my batts...took a little but got him goin...he left the lights on...so it probably wuznt as dead compared 2 urs !!!

BigBlueF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Our race cars have two batteries hooked up in parallel and we charge/jump them all the time off of posts connected to just one of the batteries.

skippi

Hoof Arted
Reaction score
The ONLY way this makes any sense is that
someone wired two 6 volt batteries (golf cart style maybe?)
in serries hoping to get more cranking amps.

Dumb idea, but possible.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
When my truck died one night of plowing (the batteries were weak so they didn't hold a charge well with the drain of the plow) we needed 2 trucks to get it to turn over. No way it was getting jumped from just 1.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I boosted my truck mostly every day in December with my Miata. And the temperature was much below freezing. I Idled the car to charge the batteries in the cold and also when Glowing, this allowed me to start my SD with the 460CA battery of the miata. And everytime I connected the grounds of the cables, and connected the Positif Post of the miate to the Positif Post of the driver side Battery, because the connection permitted me to clamp the cable mush better. I had 2 new batteries that only charged to 70%total load. Well the replacement is an other Story.

Last edited:

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of it also depends on the quality of the connection made. It's on my list to make a set of bumper booster, a plug for the cables. Transfer more amps than with clamps on both ends, I feel. I use my PSD allot to boost, farm equipment, irrigation motors, I tell you what, the upfitter switch mod that monitors voltage is fantastic. I have an Isspro voltage gauge in the cab, it's handy to know what's going on with the batteries. You can see it drop when you hook up to a dead battery. And see it go back up with the engine revving up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58