Question factory boost guage

05lariat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that the factory tranny guage should not be relied on but how about the boost guage? Just wondering before I spend the money on guages as to what ones I want.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u can rely on any of the gauges in the truck as they will alert u if something is amiss and do show when everything is operating within normal parameters, its just that aftermarket gauges are more accurate. If u want to install a boost gauge its ur call but the factory one is pretty accuarate. The only one i would install is a pyrometer to measure EGT's.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that the factory tranny guage should not be relied on but how about the boost guage? Just wondering before I spend the money on guages as to what ones I want.

You heard right. I don't know what year your truck is or if the newest factory gauges are any better, but the earlier gauges are way to slow to register. By the time the gauge approaches the yellow/red zone,the damage is done and you should be ready to bail because your tranny is probably on fire.:eek: Quality gauges are real important for our 6.0's. My 2 pennies :D

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost is good, but the temp gauges are really just temperature range HI MEd LOW indicators - not good. Fuel pressure, EGT, volts most important add ons IMO

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i bought one just cuz the package deal was cheaper but like they said the boost is pretty close mine is like about 2psi different but not enough to matter that much but it looks good haha

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you guys had touble due to the temp gauges or is it domething to just keep an eye on?

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 06 with 24000 miles on it and i installed the Edge Insight and the factory gauge is right on so i am running EOT-ECT-EGT- Trans Temp, Ford specks are no more than 15 deg. difference on the EOT&ECT and if there is the cooler is pluged and that is why the coolent filter is installed. Mine is running 6 deg difference pulling a 14,000 lb 5er. Also installed a AutoMeter fuel pressure gauge with adaptor, pressure at idle 50 lbs and 44-45 WOT so i installed a Reg. Kit now 66 ilde and 62 WOT, over 70 may blow o-rings and low pressure will kill injectors. Hope this helps. 2 stroker

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 06 with 24000 miles on it and i installed the Edge Insight and the factory gauge is right on so i am running EOT-ECT-EGT- Trans Temp, Ford specks are no more than 15 deg. difference on the EOT&ECT and if there is the cooler is pluged and that is why the coolent filter is installed. Mine is running 6 deg difference pulling a 14,000 lb 5er. Also installed a AutoMeter fuel pressure gauge with adaptor, pressure at idle 50 lbs and 44-45 WOT so i installed a Reg. Kit now 66 ilde and 62 WOT, over 70 may blow o-rings and low pressure will kill injectors. Hope this helps. 2 stroker
What "Reg. Kit" did you use to bump up FP? Very interested.

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What "Reg. Kit" did you use to bump up FP? Very interested.
The Reg. Kit number is 3C3Z-9T517-AG and you get it form Ford
The spring is located behind the small plate that the return line attaches to. This is probably one of the easiest repairs you can make... Take the four screws loose (they are T-27 torx screws), change pull the old spring out of the brass cup, put the new spring in and re-install the plate. When you are taking it loose, keep your thumb on the plate so the spring/cup doesn't pop out and also use your thumb to hold the plate up tight to the fuel bowl when re-installing, so the screws can be threaded in good. If you buy the whole kit (which I think is the only way you can get it from Ford), I would replace the brass cup while you are at it..
You can see the plate and return line here.
Page 30: Fuel Supply System

I would not buy the aftermarket spring from GDS. It has been shown to raise pressure well beyond what is recommended and risks blowing the internal o-ring in your injectors
The only hard part is the hose is in the way, you need to get a turkey baster a new one and suck out all the fuel from the upper filter houseing that way you don't have a mess. After you are done you have to cycle the key 3 time 15 sec. each time to prime the fuel system. Hope this helps 2 stroker

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I'm curious whether Ford supplies a stiffer spring now, or the stock spring actually loses that much resistance in only 24,000 miles. Thanks for your reply 2Stroker. Oh... Did you notice any seat of the pants performance improvement? Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58