Factory Brake Controller

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 F-250 with the factory brake controller. I'm having issues with the controller recognizing my trailer and from what I've read this is common for the 05 models. The last time I towed the trailer last year I had no problems. The trailer sat all winter under my carport out of the snow and weather which is why I believe the problem lies in the truck. All my trailer lights work when I plug in the trailer but I have no brake control. I've checked all the connections on my trailer to make sure they're good and even replaced the plug on the trailer but it didn't change anything.

I'd really like to keep the clean looks of the controller in the dash rather than hanging off the bottom of the dash so my question is would replacing my controller with the controller out of an 06 or 07 make any difference? Would I be spending money for something that is going to give me the same problems down the road?

As always, thanks for the help and input.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take some fine sandpaper and clean the blades at the plug first.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
ditto
and DOUBLE check the trailers GROUND connection, the TBC is sensitive to lack of ground. most trailer builders simple rivet a ground wire to a frame spot and it is an alum pop rivet and it corrodes and creates a loss of "signal" if so use a good steel bolt or stainless one a make a GOOD ground.
old days of using the ball as a ground dont work.

also if you pull the fuse under the dash for the tbc and the auto a/c and then re-install it, it sometimes helps. For some reason the auto climate and tbc will make the computer go squirrley and cause issues.

but the ground or loss of is the most common issue
and its usually on the trailer side. clean all connections and retry

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked all the grounds on the trailer and everything is good and tight. All the grounds are done with torx head screws instead of pop rivets. The trailer uses torsion axle and the rear brakes are grounded to the top of the axle tube (if I find the genius that thought of that they're getting hurt). The one that was loose I moved to a more easily accessible position and reattached after hitting the area with a wire wheel. I even covered the area with dielectric grease before attaching the ground. This weekend I should have time to climb under the trailer again and redo the rest of the grounds.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still having a similar problem with my 5th wheel. It works okay sometimes and then stops working. Intermittant at best for quite some time. I was finally able to tow another trailer for a friend on a 500 mile round trip and it never missed a beat so I've definitely got to take a closer look at the trailer side this Spring. Besides not always having the brakes when you need them, the error tone going off constantly will drive you crazy on a long trip. Good luck!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i would check the truck side on the back of the 7 pin plug and make sure the inerds arent corroded, i just realized your in a snow belt
do all the trailer lights work?
there is also a main harness connector that branches the 7 and 4 connector off the main harness, doubtful but check that connector for crud, its just above and aft of the spare tire
the connector comes apart pretty easy
pack it with dielectric compound

the tbc system is pretty good in these trucks, my 06 had zero tbc issues.
except the weird auto a/c and tbc no workie thing.
sorry i cant be of more help

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the auto climate control but I'm going to try and pull the fuse for the brake controller to see if that makes a difference. I really don't want to climb under the trailer again if not absolutely necessary. The truck is a little easier for me to climb under so I'll check all the connections on the truck first. Since the trailer had no problems last year and didn't leave the shelter of the carport all winter I'm inclined to believe the problem lies in the truck.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a little more troubleshooting. When I put my voltmeter on the pin for the brake output at the rear bumper I get 12 volts when the energize switch is moved. I could be wrong but that would indicate to me that the brake controller is working properly. (It also tells me that my truck was built at the end of March 05 after they changed from the brake controller that only puts out 1-3 volts under 15 mph. Build date on the door sticker is 03/05.) I'm thinking it's time to turn my attention back to the trailer and the grounds as much as I don't want to climb under the trailer again.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the brake feed to get an accurate measure you need to measure amps

and if its sitting stopped and you slide the tbc to full on, you will get volts but like you said not very much, because the trucks thinks your stopped

keep us informed on what you find.....
could you go borrow a trailer and see if it follows the trailer....

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I have a friend nearby that has a couple trailers. I'm sure he'll let me plug in one of them to see if the truck recognizes it.

Any suggestions on how to measure the amperage going to the trailer? The meter has to be in series with the circuit to measure amperage but I can't quite figure out how to plug in the trailer and get my meter inline also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl