Factory Tow Command wiring diagram

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,

I had the TBC Fault error show up about 20k km ago. Took it to the dealer, and they couldnt find anything wrong. They reset the code and it has not come back since.

I had someone elses trailer and the Brake Controller couldn't find the trailer. Took it in, they said it was a loose wire, fixed it. Now the Brake controller works.

Now, The trailer lighting keeps popping fuses. This is with my brand new Big Tex 18ft flat deck. There are two separate fuses that blow, the one under the hood, which controls the turn signals. And the one in the cab which controls the brake / parking lights.

I have taken the connection apart at the hitch on the truck, and there is no corrosion, or discolouring which would indicate a short.

My truck now has 60k km on it and is out of warranty, so If anyone else has had problems with their trailer wiring please let me know. I do not want to pay a tech to go through the entire harness looking for a short, and If I could do this myself that would be great. So if anyone has a wiring diagram for this system that would be most helpful.

FYI my truck has the factory tow setup installed.

:hail

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help but been there

I had fuse problems for several months that drove me nuts. The dealer would say its your LED lights or the neon tubes or maybe its your CB.. The problem was I would have only headlights at night only sometimes no tail or marker lamps or dash lights. Sometimes the fuse was blown sometimes it was melted and not blown.. Sometimes the lights would all flicker when I was driving ,and I would slap the fuse panel and that helped. I was afraid to go out at night not knowing if I'd get cited for no tail lights. This might seem stupid no one could figure it out I decided the fuse connector (brass tab) in the in cab fuse box was bent I bent the tab closer with a small nail and that has solved my problem.. I might be able to a Tech job someday at the Ford dealer

thimages

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a big tex similar to yours.

Go check the wiring harness on the trailer, near the license plate.

I had to bend the corner of my plate to keep it from rubbing against the the wiring.

Hal

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG TEX CRAP WIRING

Thanks hal,

It turns out my dealer is going to warranty the wiring on my trailer. I can't believe Big Tex would actually sell that junk. The trailer is very beefy, then they install some crappy small guage wiring. It also had about 4 or 5 butt connectors within 6 inches of wiring, and the wiring heading across the back of the trailer was so tight I could play a tune on it. There must be some chafing in that metal loom across the back which is causing it to short out.

There is also no rubber grommets supporting the wiring anywhere. They are just strung through metal hoops all the way around.

If anyone is buying a Big Tex trailer I would definitely check the wiring out before purchase. :rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14