Fan Clutch or What ???

KRMNAL1

Rolands Dishwasher
Reaction score
When I start my truck in the morning I am getting a weird kind of klunking noise and it is constant. anyone have a similar problem ??

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Have you opened the hood on a cold start up so you can identify a general locale of the noise? It would be easier to diagnose if we know that it is related to an exhaust issue, lower end issue or perhaps like you mentioned a fan clutch issue...... Go to user CP and fill out your sig for us to so we all know year,model etc etc...

Mike

KRMNAL1

Rolands Dishwasher
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Have you opened the hood on a cold start up so you can identify a general locale of the noise? It would be easier to diagnose if we know that it is related to an exhaust issue, lower end issue or perhaps like you mentioned a fan clutch issue...... Go to user CP and fill out your sig for us to so we all know year,model etc etc...

Mike

I'll open the hood and check today and I just did my sig :sorry

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
Does your noise vary with RPM? Is it a metalic, hollow or solid type of thump? How long does it last?
Ken

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
My bet would be either the belt tensioner pulley or one of the belt pulleys based souly on what you have told so far. Fan clutches in my experience don't make a noise per say they just stop working unless the bearing is completely gone generally when that happens the fan has already gone thru the raditor.

Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
My bet would be either the belt tensioner pulley or one of the belt pulleys based souly on what you have told so far. Fan clutches in my experience don't make a noise per say they just stop working unless the bearing is completely gone generally when that happens the fan has already gone thru the raditor.

I'll second that. The pulley bearings could be going bad.

Quadzilla

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, Rick!
It's good to see you. I'm glad you found this place.
Scott.

Reaction score
Quadzilla said:
Hello, Rick!
It's good to see you. I'm glad you found this place.
Scott.

Scott,

I'm in about 4 different places lately, TDS, OB, CB & here ;) . It's good to have a Ford place again. Now if we can just duplicate the ambiance of the old 94-97 FordDiesel.com forums then we would have it made :sweet

KRMNAL1

Rolands Dishwasher
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
My bet would be either the belt tensioner pulley or one of the belt pulleys based souly on what you have told so far. Fan clutches in my experience don't make a noise per say they just stop working unless the bearing is completely gone generally when that happens the fan has already gone thru the radiator.

Thanks Dale, how would I check the belt tensioner or is this something I should just take to Ford pay my $100 dollar deductible and let them figure it out ??

The problem seems to be only when the PSD is cold, morning start up and after work start up. It sounds a lot like a fan clutch that has bad or missing bearings. There is also a squeal at times just after start up. On the big trucks the fan clutch will give a squeal when the fan turns itself on at high idle IE. PTO is engaged and engine speed is 1100 RPM. When the fan turns on it squeals for about a second and then catches up.

That and the loose sounding bearings is what I am experiencing on cold start up's. If it was the clutch it would do it all the time right :dunno Whaddya think, dealer 100k $100 dollar route or has anyone had the same type of problem

Thanks
Mike D.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58