Fan isnt screaming - high oil temp!

paulpe99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 (May) F250 Super Duty, 4x4, 6.0l diesel. The fan clutch was replaced in June 2007. In the last 13 months I haven't heard the usual, loud howl from the fan when temperatures rise. I now have a Palm PDA monitoring all my temps and my oil has been upto 252 degrees while towing! When is that fan supposed to kick into high gear? This fan clutch replacement was done by a Ford dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

paulpe99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
quick update on fan clutch not cooling engine

I'm taking the truck into the dealer tomorrow. They said they'd look at it right away. I'll keep you posted on what happens. btw, i did the egr cooler freeze plug trick in the up pipe last weekend. And i ordered an aluminum egr valve plug and will install that when i get the truck back from the dealer.

paulpe99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
freeze plug between the up pipe and egr cooler

Here's a link that shows a pic of a short 1.5" dia. freeze plug.

Pros/Cons of EGR Block-off plate - Page 3 - The Diesel Garage Forums

by short i mean its .275" tall. you should probably grind it shorter, cuz the egr flange has a 1.7" o.d. x .125" tall protrusion. Its meant to slide into the 1.7" dia cbore x .13" dp of the up pipe flange. The freeze plug fits into a deeper cbore of the up pipe. That deeper cbore is 1.5" dia x .365" dp (from flange face). The o.d. of the up flange is 2.5" and the thru hole of the exhaust is 1.375". I say grind it shorter cuz i think the egr cooler flange protrusion hangs up a bit and allows exhaust to whistle thru.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg