Fan kickin temp?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I have only heard my cooling fan kick in a couple of times and then only when I had turned the AC to max running at slow speeds. The engine temp then wasn't even up to operating temp. This weekend pulling a trailer my engine temp got up to 218 with engine oil at 232. The trans stayed around 175 but the fan never kicked on. This doesn't seem right. Is 218 to warm to be running constantly. 204 was around my high temp before this.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesels like it HOT! I don't know what temp the fan kicks in, but if you have heard it, it is alright. Many run a 203 degree thermostat, so it will open when it gets to 203 degrees. Oil usually runs hotter than the coolant. You are OK.

Dave

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine temperature is not the only parameter that the PCM monitors to determine cooling fan operation. This is the reason that you will see some variation in engine temperature as it correlates to fan operation. The operation/description of the FSS (Fan Speed Sensor) from the PC/ED manual has a fairly good explanation as to how the system "thinks". This is not your traditional engine hits temp X and the fan clutch locks up. The fan speed sensor is a Hall-Effect sensor integral to the vistronic drive fan (VDF). The powertrain control module (PCM) will monitor the sensor input and control the VDF speed based upon engine coolant temperature (ECT), transmission fluid temperature (TFT) and intake air temperature (IAT) requirements. When an increase in fan speed for vehicle cooling is requested, the PCM will monitor the FSS signal and output the required pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to a fluid port valve within the VDF.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you keep an eye on your coolant level in the reservoir. I had 10 degrees seperation between my coolant temp and my oil temp. I was losing coolant as well. It turned out my EGR cooler was shot and oil cooler had to be rebuilt. On my truck at slow speeds with engine coolant temp at 214 degrees my fan would kick on.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think 218 is too high to be running continuosly.

As dmcvey_1999 said, keep an eye on coolant level (and on the exhaust).

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Well the trucks in the shop getting the turbo rebuilt egr cleaned and pcm looked at. Had no start problems as well as low boost so will have to see if things are better when I get it back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58