Fan like noise?

flash1248

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 04 F-350 last week. Ran a carfax report and no issues, that BS, cause I found a sticker on the side of the motor that says 2006. Only mods is muffler & cat delete. Here's the problem, under accellation I hear a fan like noise coming from under the hood. When you back off the throttle it goes away. I not new to diesels, just this is my 1st Ford diesel. Gotta 04 Duramax that's my daily driver with 380,000 miles & making 500+ HP. I not trying to bash Fords in any way, think this can be a good truck. I just want to iron out all the issues that I can. Hopefully it won't be PITA to work on, like the Duramax.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off.. Welcome to SDD.com ;tu

Here's the problem, under accellation I hear a fan like noise coming from under the hood. When you back off the throttle it goes away. I not new to diesels, just this is my 1st Ford diesel.

1. Could be an issue with the Fan Clutch ?

2. Could be an issue with the Serp. Belt Tension-er pulley ?

3. Could be a loose, cracked, split I/C boot(s) ?

Check those out for starters and get back to us ? Plenty of 6.0 guys on here with LOTSA knowledge.

As far as the 06 motor, in an 04 ? you might go back to where/who you bought it from and asked some pointed questions...:dunno

Joe

Again.. glad yer with us ;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome2 flash1248. My guess is you are hearing the fan. It cycles on/off when the engine is hot and you HEAR it.

Dave

flash1248

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. It was the boot going to the turbo, had a hole in the bottom of it big enough I stick my thumb in it.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. It was the boot going to the turbo, had a hole in the bottom of it big enough I stick my thumb in it.

Great, glad you found it. You not flooded out over there are you? Hope you are high and dry.
Doug

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD. Glad you found the root of your problem. As for the 2006 motor in a 2004, not everything that gets done on a truck gets reported to Carfax. Mechanics have to subscribe to Carfax service and a lot choose not to for one reason or another. Plus anything done by a shade tree mechanic won't show up. Carfax is helpful but only if the shop doing the work reports to Carfax.

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen, Thanks for the info, I just got back from Northern Vermont towing my 10,000# TT and on some of the bigger hills I heard this same noise and it sounds like something is going to blow and then it goes away (after I am going back down a big hill). This must be like an electric fan that kicks on when temp rises? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58