Help Needed fender above exhaust keeps turning black

remod

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I,m new to your forum . I down loaded a chip on my 02 , 7.3 psd about 4 yrs. ago since then the progammer was stollen from the vehical . I now have no way of removing the chip . Should I leave it on or take truck to ford and have it removed . Truck has started to get black smoke or soot on fender above exhaust . I have 120,000 mi. on truck

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you had a chip stolen, or you programmed it?

I would think either way, a replacement chip or program would remedy the problem...

cheaper thing to do would be drive it like a rotten egg under the go-pedal, therefor keeping the smoke IN the tailpipe...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I,m new to your forum . I down loaded a chip on my 02 , 7.3 psd about 4 yrs. ago since then the progammer was stollen from the vehical . I now have no way of removing the chip . Should I leave it on or take truck to ford and have it removed . Truck has started to get black smoke or soot on fender above exhaust . I have 120,000 mi. on truck

How 'bout yer Air & Fuel filters ? Good'n clean ??? Do ya have mudflaps ?

Joe

Tell us more 'bout yer 7.3, PSD

Last edited:

worshiprocker

Not a Rookie
Reaction score
you can move the exhaust in front of your rear tire and have it stick out a little too

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Soot on the fender is a problem on the dually's, dunno what you have, the solution on mine was a SS turn down pipe, points that smoke down on the pavement. :D
Maybe a nice chrome tip would extend it enough to keep the fender clean :sly

dpantazis

Reaction score
can you clarify if you had a tuner or a chip?

if a chip-tuner combo, check with someone like jody at DP Tuner how they work.

i think the 7.3's read the info off the chip and bypass the pcm info, so if you remove the chip the pcm should be stock.

if you loaded it to the pcm, you could send the whole thing to someone like jody to reprogram. i think it might be cheaper than having fomoco doing it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
My other "joke" answer, is to get a hold of someone who has a 6.4 and has done the DPF delete, then bolt their DPF to the exhaust..

but in all seriousness, I would think Dionysios is right. If it was a chip, and the chip has been removed, the PCM should be in "stock"

A programmer, on the other hand, would re-write the PCM info, so logically, another programmer should be able to correct it.

Either way, like Dennis said, sending it to someone like DP Tuner or Wildman should be able to restore it to stock, or maybe upload a different program with a tad bit less fuel (which is what's causing the soot - unburnt fuel going down the tailpipe)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soot on the fender is a problem on the dually's, dunno what you have, the solution on mine was a SS turn down pipe, points that smoke down on the pavement. :D
Maybe a nice chrome tip would extend it enough to keep the fender clean :sly

and a 75/25 mix of water & simple green will slick off what soot Does collect on the fender, or anywhere else, too ;tu

and.... we just gota remember.... These things Are Dezelz, they Smoke, and in that Smoke.. is Soot. To a degree, "It's the Nature of the Beast".

Personally ? I think a little dry dusting of soot on my right rear "Hip".. is an Indicator my 'ol Buddy is run'n & pull'n.. Just Fine. ;tu

Joe

OBTW ? Do those 6.4 exhaust Tips do anything about reducing soot ?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
x2 on what type of chip or tuner.
when my diablo tuner was stolen from my 02. i called predator and they sent me a new one at cost after they verified i was a previous buyer.
then the guy walked me through a back door process on the tuner, which reset my truck to the latest factory tune. then i could re load my truck to the tune i wanted, or stay stock.
it took about 20 minutes on the phone, sitting in the truck. but it worked as advertised
most tuner companies have a back door procedure built in.. i would call teh company that makes yours if its a tuner.

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you can move the exhaust in front of your rear tire and have it stick out a little too

I did this to one of our wreckers, to try to get smoke away from the vehicle in tow.... right rear wheel is usually black by the time it's time to fill up:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58