Few questions about first half 99 7.3L

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I am looking at a 99 F550 qube truck, that I am most likely going to buy, but I have some questions about the earily 99 7.3L. The truck was built in 9/98. I remamber hearing bad stuff about these earily motors, but I don't know exactly the issues. Thanks in advance.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
from what i have learned, its just an OBS engine in a SD body. could be way wrong, but that was my interpretation.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
It does have an intercooler, but I am not sure differences in anything else. Weren't there emmisions issues with them?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
performance issues more than anything else... the 99.5's got a bigger turbo and they refenargled the air box
I think they changed the injectors too, but I could be wrong about that..
My truck has been pretty trouble free under the hood, all it's open for is to check and change the oil...

now the underside of it however.....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I am looking at a 99 F550 qube truck, that I am most likely going to buy, but I have some questions about the earily 99 7.3L. The truck was built in 9/98. I remamber hearing bad stuff about these earily motors, but I don't know exactly the issues. Thanks in advance.

There is nothing wrong with an early 99 as it's refered to. Yeah, there were many changes to the engine in Dec 98. But I don't think any of those changes were other than power or emissions related. You have to remember the Powerstroke motor was around for many years in OBS trucks prior to the Superduty truck. Any bugs the 7.3 had (aside from the CPS) were pretty much worked out long ago. If you heard something about problems with a diesel engine in a Superduty, it was likely the 6.0. The first 6.0's made didn't have a good track record. The costs of warranty repairs for those early 6.0's were a big problem for Ford and ended up being the subject of a lawsuit with International maker of the Powerstroke.

When the 7.3 was put into the Superduty, the biggest change was the turbo/intercooler system and the split shot injectors which were an emissions thing. But from a reliabilty perspective, there is no difference. You just have to know which engine you have when you have to make that isolated trip to the parts store.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The early 99 automatics had noisy torque converters but outside that they we're and still good trucks.

We waited for the 99.5's to go into production so we didn't have to deal with the torque converter.

gunman41mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI CHP, I'm looking to get a newer truck, my 1999 F250 7.3 SC long-bed 2WD, has 129,486 miles, My truck has not given me that much trouble, but I want a 4X4!!!

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The early 99 automatics had noisy torque converters but outside that they we're and still good trucks.

We waited for the 99.5's to go into production so we didn't have to deal with the torque converter.

The noisy torque converter is ok. It's the cup thrower on the dash. That's why I waited until 2000 to order my truck.:D:lmao

CHPMustang

Reaction score
That was the one thing was the spongy cup thrower,that was the only downside to any 99.

Our 99 was a 4x4,it was a great truck.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58