Few questions on a 97 7.3l

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Hey guys I am working on a 97 7.3 psd that doesn't run right at start up. It smokes blue until warm up and stalls when the throttle is released suddenly, but it will start right back up and idle. While it is idleing there is a slight vibration and when you hammer down there is a stutter.

I tried to describe this the best I can. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Drew

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Injector?

Does anybody think that a bad injector would cause these issues? I need to pull the motor to re-seal the oil pan and rear main, so I could easily check all the injectors.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are going to pull the motor, take all of the injectors into an injection shop and have them tested. This is the only SURE way to know if you have any bad injectors.

Dave

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
sounds like you could have a bad cylinder (no compression) try a compression test, because its cheap and easy.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I need to pull it to replace the oil pan. I know a good diesel shop that doesn't charge me anything for pop testing of injectors. I for sure will do a compression test first.

Thanks for the info.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Well finally got around to getting the injectors tested and 3 are bad and 1 is totally the wrong injector for a 7.3 powerstroke. The turbo is in need of a rebuild also. I will be picking up the parts this week to put the sucker back together and thrown in the truck.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
how'd the compression test turn out??? i wonder why someone would put an injector in a truck that it shouldn't be in... hmmm.... well after thinking for a couple of seconds... how could you put an injector in a powerstroke that wasn't right for it???

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Well finally got around to getting the injectors tested and 3 are bad and 1 is totally the wrong injector for a 7.3 powerstroke. .

Maybe wrong for that YEAR but not for the 7.3 ;) Someone probably put a newer AD injector in there instead of a AA injector.

(AD=Split Shot, AA=Single Shot)

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. I found it hard to belive that the injector was wrong myself, but the diesel shop said the injector was for a DT466. Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a lot of differences between the 444 and the 466?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58