Few questions on my new powerstroke.

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I finally after several years of needing/wanting a PSD got a 99 F-250 lariat with pretty much every option around. Course there are a few growing pains and a few things I just don't know. I have owned naturaly aspirated diesels before but no direct inj or turbo's.

First question I could not answer in the manual or on the truck is what size fuel tank does this sucker have in it? It took in 15 gal today and was between 1/4 and 1/2 when I started.

What kind of fuel economy should I expect from it. I have heard as good as 18, but also heard lower.

I bet this is in the manual and I haven't found it yet, but can you pull with the auto in overdrive or is it gonna toast the tranny? All the trucks we had before were gm, and the 700R4 does not like towing in overdrive.

The 4wd controler is out of the truck causing me to have to lock in and out the hubs. The gys around here say that it won't hurt anything to run it that way. What do you guys know about that?

Radio. When I turn the radio on I get alot of static even on close stations that other radios read fine. I am gonna clean/check the antenna connection and make sure the antenna is grounded, but is there any other probable solutions?

Thanks

I have a few other questions but will do some more searching before asking about them.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rio_Grande said:
First question I could not answer in the manual or on the truck is what size fuel tank does this sucker have in it? It took in 15 gal today and was between 1/4 and 1/2 when I started.
Short bed about 29 gals. Long bed about 38 gals.

Rio_Grande said:
What kind of fuel economy should I expect from it. I have heard as good as 18, but also heard lower.
The short answer is "It depends on you." It sounds like you have a Auto 4x4. I get 15 to 16 mpg in mine mixed in town. 17 hwy. Yours should be between 12 to 16 in town depending on tires/suspension setup.

Rio_Grande said:
I bet this is in the manual and I haven't found it yet, but can you pull with the auto in overdrive or is it gonna toast the tranny? All the trucks we had before were gm, and the 700R4 does not like towing in overdrive.
I don't tow with mine, so you may want to wait for a more qualified opinion. The overdrive should be fine on flat terrain driving. If you feel the tranny constantly shifting gears, then it is time to press the two/haul button.

Rio_Grande said:
The 4wd controler is out of the truck causing me to have to lock in and out the hubs. The gys around here say that it won't hurt anything to run it that way. What do you guys know about that?
Just drive around in the Auto or unlocked position. Lock it in when you need it. I have heard that it will afffect mileage a tad driving around all the time with the hubs being locked in. Not sure about wearing out components faster.

Rio_Grande said:
Radio. When I turn the radio on I get alot of static even on close stations that other radios read fine. I am gonna clean/check the antenna connection and make sure the antenna is grounded, but is there any other probable solutions?
Umm, check the ground?

This is a great site with a search feature that is better than some other sites out there. The members are always helpful around here.

fgtex

Last edited:

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have been toying with the search function, and it is better than most.

Pulled another load with it today and you would never know the 6500lbs was back there.

It is an auto, 4x4, short bed, crew cab. the tires are bigger(305 something I think) but not crazy big and it has no lift.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yeah... don't tow in OD... not on one of those...

you've got prety much the same truck I do... fuel capacity is 29 gallons, and I get between 13 and 16 around town, towing 10 to 13...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Rio_Grande said:
I finally after several years of needing/wanting a PSD got a 99 F-250 lariat with pretty much every option around. Course there are a few growing pains and a few things I just don't know. I have owned naturaly aspirated diesels before but no direct inj or turbo's.
I'm sure you've already dicovered that the difference is night and day...

Unfortunatly, I cannot answer this question without a little more info. Short box or long box?

Long = 39 gallons.
Short = I have no idea, but i think around 30 gallons.

Again, need some more info. 4x4? Auto or manual? I have a 4x4 long box ex cab with the manual, and I average around 17 to 18 mixed city and highway. 100% highway will put me up around 19, 100% city will drag me down to 16. Towing and hauling at CGVWR of 16K and I am at 15-16 highway.

Autos will tend to get less fuel economy, and 4x4 also carries a small mileage penalty. However, the biggest factor is how you drive. If you drive for fuel economy, you can probably get close to 19 or 20 out of even an auto.

The new trannies have bigger clutches to hold better in OD. However, the damaging back and forth shifting can still happen, so pay attention and if it starts shifting back and forth from D to OD, then lock it out of OD until it will shift in and stay in.

This also answers my question about fuel economy, you have an auto, which means you should probably get 16 to 17 MPG average. (IMHO)

I'll try to explain as best I can. The hub locks outside the truck are not the 4x4 controllers. They simply lock the front wheels to the front axles, and cause the axles to turn with the wheels when 4x4 is not engaged, and the wheels to turn with the axles when 4x4 IS engaged. 4x4 is engaged with the small floor-mounted shift lever inside the truck.

If you engage 4x4 inside the truck without engaging the hubs outside, then the front axles will spin under power from the engine, but will accomplish nothing, since they are not connected via locked hubs to the front wheels.

Conversely, if you engage the hubs outside without engaging the 4x4 inside, the front axle will spin as the wheels turn, but no power from the engine is supplied to the front axle via the t-case, and you will not have 4x4.

As far as running with your hubs engaged in 2wd on the highway, yes, you can do this. I do it all the time when i am expecting to encounter slippery conditions and plan on needing 4x4 (so I don't have to get out on a cold, slick street or a muddy backroad and engage them). Once they are engaged, 4x4 hi range is shift on the fly up to about 45 MPH or so, as long as your back tires are not slipping.

One thing to keep in mind is that by engaging them, you are increasing drag on your truck, and so decreasing fuel economy. It is worth it to me to not have to get out on that muddy or slick road and engage them, though, so you make the choice.

That said, You really did answer all the questions earlier, except your box length. Should have read the post first before i replied... :D

Dunno about this one. Ground is the first thing that comes to mind, though.

Thanks

I have a few other questions but will do some more searching before asking about them.
Ask away, man.... :sweet

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks fella's

I have been driving the truck for about 4 days. I have pulled every day with it, From empty trailers up to about 7000 lb, Running and working great, but the fuel mielage is all over the place. One tank will be a 13.9 Next was at 12, last one was 10.4. I have been driving the same, coasting when possible and avoiding the breaks unless I have to, gentle excelleration and grandpaw like driving although I do have a big urge to floor it and see what happens, but for the sake of profit I have refrained.

I am looking at some open exaust, chips and cold air intakes, but the prices seem crazy. We have a local fellow who burns his own chips at the local dealership, but they like to talk about rods exiting the engine in an unnatural way and how they blow up trannys ect, Makes me a bit heasatant, I am just looking for better economy and a little boost when pulling. When the gooseneck arrives I am sure the power increase will be appriciated.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14