Fifth wheel conversion?

Shawnrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used PSD that already had a hide a ball gooseneck in it.
It was suggested that I get a fifth wheel adapter to accomodate the goose.
My question is; how do they tow? Are they safe considering side to side movement. My FW is 40' long and weighs in at 15500# loaded. Any one with any experience using these I would appreciate your .02 :thanks

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I have seen them, it does require you still use the safety chains, which in a normal fiver hitch you dont have. it hooks up the fith wheel hitch pin and the to your gooseneck ball.
I would certainly do the math and make sure the ratings match.
I cant imagine the ball would be as strong in shear loads as teh fiver pin, but they must be. reese.com might be a start
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
had one with the capacity
Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=39062&Category_Code=FWGNA
Shawnrans said:
I recently picked up a used PSD that already had a hide a ball gooseneck in it.
It was suggested that I get a fifth wheel adapter to accomodate the goose.
My question is; how do they tow? Are they safe considering side to side movement. My FW is 40' long and weighs in at 15500# loaded. Any one with any experience using these I would appreciate your .02 :thanks

Last edited:

gaspump

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Putting a gooseneck adater changes the stress to 5th wheel frame. You have a lot of leverage that you didn't have before and most frames can't stand it when they are loaded heavy. Most of the major 5th wheel RV manufactors void the frame and structual warrenties when the goosenecks are installed. I have seen lighter trailers with no problems but the big heavy units get a lot of wall delamination and the 5th wheel plates even brake loose. There are 5th wheel hitches that hook to your goose ball also. If you have a nice trailer and tow a good deal buy a 5th wheel hitch. A Reese 15k 499 plus install. Delamed wall replacement 3 to 10 thousand.

Greg

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawnrans, Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy hanging out here. You say you have a 40 footer that tips the scales at 15500. That is a heavy trailer and I wouldn't want nothing but the best to tow with. Here is a link for a fifth wheel hitch that should work with your turn over hitch. Good luck and Happy Camping. I use a 20K Reese and like it real well. :thumbs
http://turnoverball.com/

Last edited:

Shawnrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info WD40. I checked out the link and I'm going to call them tomorrow for pricing. That set up looks a lot more stable than converting the kingpin to a gooseneck. :thumbs

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
My dad uses the b&w and its a slick setup. We needed to load his generator in the front of the bed and all it took to move the 5th wheel hitch was pulling some pins then the lever under the bed. Rolled the generator in dropped the 5th wheel hitch in and hooked up to the trailer. No unbolting required or picking the thing up over the hitch.
I would like to get that tow and stow reciever for my X, looks pretty nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58