Figured out why my gear rollover was so loud!!!!!

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
So after the clutch install i told y'all how loud the gear rollover was.. i just figured out that the nut that holds the pinion? to the back of the transmission was just sitting in the pinion and luckily couldn't get lost b/c it wouldn't fit between the pinion and u-joint. i took it apart and put the nut back on with Lock Tite and a little mass of the ***** and after that the gear rollover improved A LOT!!!!!!!!!! i can barely hear it now where as before it would drive you absolutely crazy. oh yeah and now it will actually go in first and reverse with out a problem again.... YAY!!!!!!!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Glad to hear it :sweet I have the Valair on my list just ahead of the new squirter's but I was worried about all the noise yours was making.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I've gotten my truck running again, I've gotten a chance to break in my Valair. Works really good. Very happy with it. I don't have rollover noise at idle, but I get a bit of a racket while slowing down around 800 - 1100 RPM. Of course, only time will tell on it's durability, but so far, the next clutch I buy (if my truck lasts that long) will be a Valair..

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to note: The rear yoke nut that came loose is a one-time use nut (a self-locking type), so if you used it again it may come loose. I had the same thing happen to me years ago and I purchased a new one locally from Ford for about $13. Cheers!

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
ohhh crap!!! i was totally unaware of that!!!!:eek: i did reuse it when i replaced the seal a couple months back so that explains a lot to me. thanks patrick!! i will go get another nut tomorrow and put it on, but so far this one is still holding, i checked it today.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
ohhh crap!!! i was totally unaware of that!!!!:eek: i did reuse it when i replaced the seal a couple months back so that explains a lot to me. thanks patrick!! i will go get another nut tomorrow and put it on, but so far this one is still holding, i checked it today.

The Lock Tite should hold it in place. I would replace the nut anyways.;tu

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
use loctite or lose your nuts! :tounge

:lmao

an update, with this gear rollover noise basically gone i absolutely love this clutch!!!!! if any of you are like me with the bigger sticks and all, i launch hard here and there, burnout every now and then, slip the clutch when backing trailers a little, lug the truck using the brakes, etc.. this clutch has yet to even blink at what i have done to it and i have done all of the above including drifting after watching tokyo drift and the clutch is doing great.

Crumm, i definitely recommend a Val-air when you get the squirters. my LUK single mass didn't even like the edge evo then when i put the squirters in there it really hated life and would slip at half throttle or more. this clutch is wayyyy better. LoL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58