Filters

bosox fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Who has the best price on fuel and oil filters oem. Also what oil is everyone using. I just sold my Duramax and bought an 04 6.0 excursion. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone change out the tranny fliud and used amsoil syntheitc torque drive. What about front and rear differentials and transfer case oils. I know a lot of info needed but I ned to get oil changed and fuel filters changed.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
bosox fan said:
Who has the best price on fuel and oil filters oem. Also what oil is everyone using. I just sold my Duramax and bought an 04 6.0 excursion. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone change out the tranny fliud and used amsoil syntheitc torque drive. What about front and rear differentials and transfer case oils. I know a lot of info needed but I ned to get oil changed and fuel filters changed.

First off, stick with Ford stuff for the tranny. I've heard many times over that Ford is real picky on warranty stuff with the TorqShift, so don't chance it.

Oil: ask five guys and you'll get six opinions. I like Amsoil 5W30 HDD full synthetic. Can use it towing, summer, winter, etc. Don't need the 15W40 (this stuff holds up better). Blackstone backs that up.

Can't tell you about diff's or txfr case--I just use Ford's stuff.

You can get Wix filters from filter1 for a good price.

If you're changing your own oil, look at a fumoto drain valve--well worth the money.

Reaction score
bosox fan said:
- Also anyone change out the tranny fliud and used amsoil syntheitc torque drive. What about front and rear differentials and transfer case oils. I know a lot of info needed but I ned to get oil changed and fuel filters changed.

You can run AMSOIL everywhere exccept in the transmission. AMSOIL does not make nor recomend anything but SP. Here is a list incase you need it - I run the 5w30 in mine.

Ron

Engine Oil
Grade 1......CI-4
SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
-23 To 32°F......10W-30[1]
-29 To -1°F......5W-30, 5W-40[2]
-29 To -18°F......0W-30[2]
above -23°F......15W-40[3]
Manual Transmission,6-SPD ZF S6-650.....MA
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission,5R110W.....MSP[4]
Differential, Front .....GL-5
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Controlled Slip Differential, Rear Dana 135.....GL-5*[5][6]
75W-140
Severe Gear 75W-140
Standard Differential, Rear Dana 135.....GL-5[7]
75W-140
Severe Gear 75W-140
SAE 80W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube
Standard Differential, Rear Dana 80.....GL-5[7]
75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Controlled Slip Differential, Rear Dana 80.....GL-5*[7][8]
75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
Controlled Slip Differential, Rear Ford.....GL-5*[9][10]
75W-140
Severe Gear 75W-140
Standard Differential, Rear Ford.....GL-5[11]
75W-140
Severe Gear 75W-140
Standard Differential, Rear S110, S130.....GL-5[11]
75W-140
Severe Gear 75W-140
Transfer Case,.....MA
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid.....MA
Brake Fluid.....HBH
Clutch Fluid.....HBH

1. Ford TSB 05-16-6 states that SAE 10W-40 is acceptable
to use in operating temperatures from degrees -1 to degrees 32.
SAE 10W-40 is the preferred viscosity if the operating
varies from degrees -20 to degrees -1.
2. Ford TSB 05-16-6 states that the shown viscosity is
acceptable to use in the shown temperature range.
3. Ford TSB 05-16-6 states that SAE 15W-40 is acceptable
to use in operating temperatures from degrees -12 to degrees -1.
SAE 15W-40 is the preferred viscosity if the operating
is above degrees -1.
4. Mercon-SP is not interchangeable W/ Mercon, Mercon-V or
Mercon Synthetic.
5. Synthetic oil is required.
6. Add 8 oz of friction modifier Ford part no. C8AZ-19B546-A or
equivalent meeting Ford Spec EST-M2C118-A for axle refill
7. Synthetic oil is required.
8. Add 8 oz of friction modifier Ford part no. C8AZ-19B546-A or
9. Synthetic oil is required.
10. Add 8 oz of friction modifier Ford part no. C8AZ-19B546-A or
11. Synthetic oil is required.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
You really have to experiment and find what works for you, as far as expence and convenience. Oil changes and filters are easy. Do it yourself and know it was done right. Plenty of posts on here about oil changes. As far as oil...its your call. I would stick with an approved oil versus one that is hyped. You can find alot of info on oil reading between the lines. Better doesn't always equate to more pricey.

Reaction score
F350DRW1 said:
. . . As far as oil...its your call. I would stick with an approved oil versus one that is hyped. You can find alot of info on oil reading between the lines. Better doesn't always equate to more pricey.

And I agree as far as what kind of oil to run - use what ever your happy with.

I should have said that I didn't post that list to try and push the AMSOIL - it's just a good handy list of what componet takes what weights/type fluid - Ford recommendations.

Ron

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use WIX filters for the the fuel filters.

Originally they had the ehite media membrame on the HFCM filter (covers pleats) and is called "aquabloc" and was made by Racor. They have since changed suppliers and the larger of the two filters does NOT have the white filter media.

It is used to seperate water out and not allow it to be sucked through the pleats. Water droplets will not pass through this white membrane, but fuel will.

The cheapest place to buy (cheaper than WIX or NAPA) is your local IH dealer. Just order part # 1847170C92. I paid $27.99/kit on sale and regular price is $30 - 35.00/kit depending on the dealer.

The IH part is Racor made, racor quality, same company that makes Motorcraft and is less than Motorcraft and less than WIX... so why buy WIX for more money and get less of a filter????

WIX can say all they want, no white membrane, does not make to "compatitable to me... and they want more money for lesser quality!!!

Just ask you IH dealer for the part number and donot say "the 6.0L" fuel filter... it is different... IH uses our fuel filter on their 4.5L motor and the 7.3L fuel filter on their version of the 6.0L... so ask for the part number above to get the 2 filter kit you need for the 6.0L.

On a second note, WIX/NAPA has two part numbers for the 6.0L fuel filter depending on the year... and Racor/IH/Ford have one... guess WIX had to re-engineer their filter (fit and media materaial) and in my opinon.... it is NOT AS GOOD... AND THEY CHAGRE MORE!!!

Norcal250

Gimp member
Reaction score
Try Wal-Mart for the oil filter and oil... they have Motorcraft filters, really cheap (paid 19 bucks for an oil filter a while ago, I have a bypass kit on mine so I haven't paid much attention to the price the last couple times I've been there) they also have Motorcraft oil... also at a great price...

www.truckpulls.com

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
I am running the new AMSOIL EA synthetic filter and there HD diesel oil. 15K mile oil changes with Blackstone lab results agreeing that all is well. You cant beat that for the price....no how, no way. The filter is about 22 bucks, but goes 25K miles with standard service. I got the flame jacket on, so all the nay-sayers are free to yell at me...but I trust Blackstone...and Amsoil. I will run this one to 20K miles and check with Blackstone again, if it still checks out well, I will hold out there. My 15K interval showed the oil and filter working better than the average oil/filter after 5K miles. Blackstone says it seems to be working very good...and yes, I hammer my truck hard and drive it like I mean it.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haladangluya, a 6.0 PSD fuel filter set for $30. Just confirmed with my local IH dealer, and in stock to boot! I bought a cruddy NAPA on my last change at $75 and it did not have the white wrap on it! :doh: I already had my old one out when I noticed. :rant Wound up putting it in anyways. I will be picking up a couple of these babys and changing the other one out this weekend. Hell, I may even buy a case of 'em just in case the get wind of this and up the price! :sly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl